ALL WORLD POWER RANKINGS
With Interleague play commencing, we turn to crossover acts and thus, Kris Kristofferson is all up in your mechanism today!
Interleague play starts today! (Look at this video for a second and laugh. Now, keep reading.) To acknowledge the cross-league battles, we thought we'd dedicate the weekend-long version of "Power Rankings" to the best crossover acts in sports and entertainment. Ya know, ladies and dudes who mastered one field, then moved on to (uh, kindasorta) master another. Number one is pretty obvious, we think; as always, though, we're up for a spirited debate. Or nothing. Really, either can work.
|1 (8)||KRIS KRISTOFFERSON||This dude is flat out filthy. First off, he sings "Me and Bobby McGee" with Judy Collins! (He wrote it, too.) Secondly, his Wiki is longer than about 30 U.S. Presidents. He was in Blume in Love! He was a member of the Highwaymen! He collaborated on projects with Shel Silverstein, who single-handedly helped every American childhood seem special! Is there anything this dude can't do? P.S. Our boss calls him "the great American renaissance man." Ahead of Thomas Jefferson? "Way ahead." Uh, by the way: he was a Rhodes Scholar too.|
|2 (231)||DAVID BOWIE||We're not into rankings (wait, what?), but BBC ranked Bowie the 29th most influential Brit of all-time. ALL-TIME! 29TH! Bear in mind: all the Beatles had individual slots on this list. Rolling Stone says he's the 39th most important rocker ever. Awesome. He was also in Just a Gigolo (ha!) and Twin Peaks, as a rogue FBI agent. If that's not range, what is?|
|3 (11)||CHER||The girl won an Oscar (!!!) for Moonstruck and put herself squarely on the Hollywood map 20 years BEFORE she admitted to sleeping with Tom Cruise. That's gotta count for something. Oh, and this.|
|4 (435)||DICK BUTKUS||People still list him ahead of Lawrence Taylor as the best LB of all-time and then there's this. Truly epic. He also filled in ably on Hang Time when Reggie Theus bowed out. Whatever happened to the girl from Hang Time, by the way? Oh, she married a dude from the show. Weird.|
|5 (NR)||BOB UECKER||Visual proof: Major League. Beer commercials. WrestleMania IV. Did Carson. Career stats weren't shabby either. Dude can do it all!|
|67 (182)||WILL SMITH||"In West Philadelphia, born and raised…" to commanding 20 large per movie. Yea. He's doing well for himself.|
|187 (1 in our hearts)||MADONNA||If you were a (straight) male born between 1976 and 1990 and haven't seen the candle wax part of Body of Evidence yet, you're probably not a human.|
|RISING AND FALLING|
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.
- VIDEO: Kobe Bryant's two loves
- VIDEO: Superman Dwight -- stylin' and profilin'
- VIDEO: Ricky Rubio, on the verge of superstardom