CLIP REEL: SPELLING BEE MOMENTS
"Don't cry." "C-R-Y. Cry." "No, we're actually not playing right now." "I hate you."
In the grand "what is a sport versus what isn't" debate, spelling bees often come down on the latter side. OK, true: no one is pass rushing you as you parse out the letters to "indefatigable," so in that regard it's easier than Peyton Manning's job. But let's be honest here; how many times have you mis-spelled "rhythm" or "succeed," quite possibly in some type of office memo? Spelling is hard. These kids taking the stage today (2pm, ESPN360) for the Scripps National Spelling Bee are warriors just like Kellen Winslow. Here now, a Clip Reel on some of the greatest Spelling Bee moments. We bow our heads in r-e-v-e-r-e-n-c-e.
Remember when the 2007 champ completely owned that CNN anchor in an interview? Hysterical.
A kid impersonating Napoleon Dynamite. Laugh out loud funny.
Kid cracks up upon getting his word.
Jimmy Kimmel does a mock spelling bee on his show. Long, but amazing.
Remember the kid who fainted at the Spelling Bee, but recovered to spell the word?
A deaf 10 year old girl wins a spelling bee. Unbelievable.
This is a compilation of funny Spelling Bee moments that ABC put together.
Brian and the spelling bee: an animated short.
Clips from the '06 Spelling Bee.
Clips from the '07 Spelling Bee.
Hey, New Zealand's got a national spelling bee too!
Our boys the Sklar brothers comment on the 1997 Spelling Bee.
Nice local Kansas City feature on a speller.
This is essentially a trailer for this year's Spelling Bee and it's awesome.
Two of the favorites this year are legit rivals. Tremendous!
There will be a bunch of international competitors, too.
Here's Elizabeth Merrill's article on Samir Patel from ESPN.Com. A good read.
Tom Bergeron will host! Man, that dude is everywhere.
An interviewer with Jacques Bailly, the 1980 champ and head pronouncer.
The Wiki for the entire Spelling Bee.
The trailer for Spellbound.
Akelah and the Bee trailer.
If you want to, you can basically watch the entirety of Akelah and the Bee online. Here's Part 1. Just keep clicking through.
Rebecca Sealfon's classic reaction to winning the 1997 Bee.
Dr. Jacques Bailly talks to ESPN. Hey, that's us!
There are currently 300 articles plus on Google News about the Spelling Bee. That's cultural traction, folks.
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.
- VIDEO: Kobe Bryant's two loves
- VIDEO: Superman Dwight -- stylin' and profilin'
- VIDEO: Ricky Rubio, on the verge of superstardom