CLIP REEL: SPORTS AND COMICS
Is that former Houston Oiler Gary Jones dressed as Spider Man? Why yes, yes it is.
Comic-Con is commencing in San Diego now! That exclamation point was completely unnecessary, but we do love Comic-Con for a variety of reasons: notably, dudes like this can feel completely at home, and it's the only place in the world where Mark Hamill is still relevant (and revered!) Sports have a long-standing connection with comics as well. Let's delve deeper.
Some good stuff at Small Market Sports.
Girls and Sports is a very entertaining cartoon.
Here's an archive of our man Kurt Snibbe over at Page 2.
LaMarcus Aldridge comic book? Sick!
Five minute rip of baseball cartoons, including some stuff from the 1930s.
Spot's Winter Sports!
Kurt Warner's Good Sports Gang.
Marvin and Mervin.
Maybe the best episode of The Simpsons ever: "Homer at the Bat."
"You Only Move Twice" is The Simpsons episode where Homer ends up owning the Denver Broncos.
Good list of the best sports cameos on The Simpsons.
You can watch another good Simpsons sports episode, "Sunday Cruddy Sunday," right here.
Maybe the best Family Guy song ever: Peter singing "Shipoopi" as a member of the New England Patriots.
Exhaustive list of the best celebrity/athlete cameos on Family Guy with some not-yet-taken-down videos.
Beijing 2008 Rubix Cube cartoon.
Highly politicized but interesting Beijing cartoon.
Going deep inside The Simpsons sports jinx.
Yankees vs. Sox rivalry cartoons.
Dwight Howard as Superman.
Equating pro athletes to superheroes.
This is kinda cool.
Marvel hooking up with AAA level baseball.
Former Jets FB getting involved in comics.
Oregon football comic book = pretty sweet.
Comic book stars and the NFL!
Todd McFarlane is a pretty big sports fan.
Gotta end here: one of the best ever, Baseball Bugs.
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.