NEW JERSEY NETS
Whenever Jay Z is involved, you gotta call it "fun."
"Mock me at your peril."
[Ed's note: We're rolling out a 'Fun Facts' on every NBA team in advance of the regular season. For more information on the concept or to see other entries, please go here.]
Here's the main thing you need to know about the New Jersey Nets: in the next few years, they will migrate to Brooklyn and they may grab LeBron James. If they don't, they'll probably grab someone of superb value because—let's be honest here—who wouldn't want to play for a club associated with HOVA himself? On this note, the Nets are probably the only NBA squad—save for maybe the Rockets—where Beyonce can name more than five players on the team. That's fun in and of itself.
1. Eddie Gill has been mocked by The Onion.
2. Chris Douglas-Roberts has a tatoo on his arm featuring Verses 1-3 of Psalm 37: "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed."
3. Julius Hodge was named by his older brother for legend Julius Erving.
4. Keyon Dooling is apparently a big fan of World of Warcraft and other 'MMORPGs,' or "massively multiplayer online role playing games." Yep, we just looked that up.
5. Good article on what Yi Jianlian means to the Nets off the court.
6. Because Jarvis Hayes began his collegiate career at Western Carolina before transferring to Georgia, he's a rare player that led two conferences in scoring during his college days.
7. Sweet article on Eduardo Najera's roots right here. Granted, it was published eight years ago—but it'll still give you a strong idea of his background.
8. A smattering of nicknames for Sean Williams: "Le Freak Elastique" (from head coach Lawrence Frank), AREA 51, SWAT and Mirage.
9. Vince Carter sold his Toronto condo to A.J. Burnett for $2.8 million, which was actually a loss on the initial value.
10. Josh Boone denotes his 'best friend' as rapper Sticky Fingaz from ONYX.
- NBA - Glen Davis and Mike Conley among players ready to take the next step
- NBA - Eastern Conference win projections
- NBA - Updated offseason grades for every team
- Good, bad, ugly of 2012 NBA offseason
- NBA - Eastern Conference teams salary cap situations
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.
- VIDEO: Kobe Bryant's two loves
- VIDEO: Superman Dwight -- stylin' and profilin'
- VIDEO: Ricky Rubio, on the verge of superstardom