The coach used to be on a NBC sitcom. How much more fun can you get?
"Just chilling, waiting for the game, ya know?"
[Ed's note: We're rolling out a 'Fun Facts' on every team in the NBA before the season starts. For more information and to see the other teams profiled, please go here.]
There are two important references to "cowbell" in popular culture: this (via SNL) and how fans used to roll at Arco Arena during the Bibby/Webber/Peja heyday of the Sacramento Kings. Read more about it here. Times aren't as fun in Sac-Town these days: the stars of the early decade are all gone and the team's only "bona-fide" is Kevin Martin, considering Ron Artest is now raising his dogs in Houston. Still, the team's got some fun elements. Let's explore.
1. Obligatory Reggie Theus on Hang Time clip to kick us off. "Running with this dream, moving with this feeling…"
2. Kevin Martin is from Zanesville, OH (like Michigan State football coach Mark Dantonio) but somehow, his favorite NFL team is the Buffalo Bills.
4. If you want to read about ridiculous American excess, read this article about the Maloof brothers. "It's Jay Z's people on the phone."
5. Mikki Moore owns a bunch of alligators and snakes. Naw, for real.
6. Spencer Hawes purportedly has a "God Bless George Bush" bumper sticker on his car.
7. When Quincy Douby starred at Rutgers, a popular slogan for Scarlet Knight fans was: "I Douby Lieve"
8. When asked his favorite NBA team as a child in Slovenia, new Kings PG Beno Udrih said: "Believe it or not, it was the Kings because they had Peja (Stojakovic) and Vlade (Divac). So I liked that team and the Spurs of course. I always liked them because I grew up on that kind of basketball mentality—defense and then offense. So I knew their system. I understood the way they played basketball." Nice answer, dood.
9. Want a good team to bet on for "messy cheerleader pyramid highlight that ends up on YouTube?" Bet the Kings. Their dance team has NINE NEW MEMBERS (!!) this year.
10. Get to know Slamson. You can e-mail him there, too. Ha.
- Top NBA suitors for Joel Embiid
- Can Isaiah Thomas become a top PG?
- Rajon Rondo won't be a King
- Malone's plans with Kings' rotation
- James Harden's sprained left ankle
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.