NBA FUN FACTS:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Stack Jack and the Gang are back for another run in the West, sans Baron.
"S-Jax's whites don't shine like mine."
[Ed's note: We're rolling out a 'Fun Facts' on every team in the NBA before the season starts. For more information and to see the other teams profiled, please go here.]
We made this video last winter with Stephen Jackson; "Stack Jack," as he's known, brought along a few Warriors team personnel dudes. One of them told us that the 2007 playoffs win over the Dallas Mavericks at Oracle Arena might have been one "one of the most fun games (he's) ever seen." Granted, he works for the team that won. (You're probably not going to get Mark Cuban to say the same thing.) Still, the Warriors were rip-roaring fun that April. Last year? Not as much, as they missed the playoffs. Now Baron Davis has departed to share the Los Angeles marquee with Kobe Bryant, so one logically wonders: are the Warriors still fun? Let's investigate.
1. Monta Ellis should've checked out this sweet motorcycle safety cartoon before hopping on his moped.
2. After OKC named its team Thunder, the Warriors had to fire their mascot (also named Thunder). Guess they brought Ronny Turiaf in to take his place?
3. Al Harrington proves that even NBA players look dumb when cranking that, Soulja Boy-style.
4. What did you do on April 12, 2008? (It was a Saturday, so if you're anything like us, probably nothing…) San Francisco celebrated Stephen Jackson Day.
5. Take note, Michael Strahan: Stephen Jackson gets a "Colgate smile."
7. Chris Mullin played for Don Nelson when both were with the Warriors. (Remember Run TMC?)
8. Also from Jackson's hometown of Port Arthur, TX? Jimmy Johnson and Janis Joplin.
9. Marco Belinelli and Manu Ginobili played together for Virtus Bologna in 2002. Belinelli was 14 (!!!) at the time.
10. Center Andris Biedrins taught himself how to speak English in six months.
- 2013 NBA draft - Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0
- 2013 NBA Playoffs - What's next for the Golden State Warriors?
- NBA - Klay Thompson's underrated qualities
- 2013 NBA Playoffs - San Antonio Spurs' success starts with Tim Duncan
- 2013 NBA playoffs: How conference semifinals series are shaping up
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.
- VIDEO: Kobe Bryant's two loves
- VIDEO: Superman Dwight -- stylin' and profilin'
- VIDEO: Ricky Rubio, on the verge of superstardom