[Ed's note: We're rolling out a 'Fun Facts' on every team in the NBA before the season starts. For more information and to see the other teams profiled, please go here.]
When we started to interview Dwight Howard last spring, his publicist said sharply: "30 seconds max." We somehow got a pretty solid 30 seconds, in which he nominated his assistant coach (Patrick Ewing) getting a facial from MJ as a top three dunk of all-time. (Some extra laps around the gym could have resulted.) Dwight Howard is undeniably fun—The Superman Dunk, etc—but the rest of the Orlando Magic are hardly lacking in levity. Here now, an investigation.
1. International flava: the Magic have players from Poland (Marcin Gortat), Turkey (Hedo Turkoglu), St. Vincent and the Grenadines (Adonal Foyle) and France (Mickael Pietrus).
2. J.J. Redick's middle name is "Clay," the origin of which is that his dad is a successful potter.
3. Mike Wilks wears No. 29 as a tribute to Milwaukee's 29th Street playground, the court of his youth.
4. Rashard Lewis, who has been in the league for a decade (really? Wow.), drives the same Lincoln Navigator he drove as a rookie.
5. Courtney Lee and the Brotherhood of the Traveling Socks.
6. Gortat's two nicknames of fame: "The Polish Hammer" and "Warlock."
7. This season is the Magic's 20th anniversary and they have compiled an impressive multimedia look back at their franchise history.
8. Stuff the Magic Mascot? Is that name controversial?
9. The Magic have one dance team that is completely made up of the fathers of their actual dance team members.