NBA FUN FACTS:
LOS ANGELES LAKERS
The city with more shine than any other has quite a fun team (no, not the Clippers!) calling it home.
[Ed's note: We're rolling out a 'Fun Facts' on every team in the NBA before the season starts. For more information and to see the other teams profiled, please go here.]
If your name is Michelle Tafoya (sadly, for you, it's not), the Lakers are a pretty fun team to cover. First time the producer gets in your ear? "Yea, hold on, let me get Jeremy Piven." Next time he or she hollers? "Yea, I'll go talk to Will and Jada." Third bellowing? "Oh look, Steven Spielberg is sitting with James Franco and Mos Def, talking about a live-action version of The Little Engine That Could. Don't mind if I do!" Finally, by the fourth quarter, you've made your way over to Jack, who says something like "Don't mess with Kobe; Kobe's my boy." This becomes a viral sensation for some reason and next week, when you're doing Rockets/Mavs, the celebrity pickings ("Hey, is that Jessica Simpson?") seem less cool. The Lakers are super fun. An investigation:
1. Born in Philadelphia, making a name for himself in L.A.? Kobe Bryant is the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
2. It's probably one of the craziest sports stories of all time.
3. Phil Jackson likens his relationship with Vladimir Radmanovic to that between Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson in Anger Management. Wonder if that entails this.
6. The Lakers brought out old-school style last season. No one needs to see that much Bynum.
8. The top ten celebrity Lakers fans: Any list that links Doris Day and Ice Cube is a good bet.
9. Reason #234,852 we think Zac Efron is dreamy: he's a Kobe fan.
10. He's the MVP for a reason: this link will make you dance around your living room if you like hoops.
- 2013 NBA draft - Chad Ford Mock Draft 5.0
- NBA: Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics Trade Talks FAQ
- NBA: Where could Dwight Howard and Chris Paul team up?
- 2013 NBA Draft - Five Insiders on Michigan point guard Trey Burke - ESPN The Magazine
- Is signing Dwight Howard the next bold move for Houston Rockets owner Leslie Alexander? - ESPN The Magazine
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.
- VIDEO: Kobe Bryant's two loves
- VIDEO: Superman Dwight -- stylin' and profilin'
- VIDEO: Ricky Rubio, on the verge of superstardom