THE MAG.COM PRESENTS:
ALL WORLD POWER RANKINGS
ATHLETE APOLOGIES? SORRY TO EVERYONE ELSE, WE'RE GOING WITH LATRELL SPREWELL
This is a slightly dicey topic. Like all of us, athletes periodically do bad things and, because they're public figures, they oftentimes need to apologize. Current Titans QB Kerry Collins once had to apologize to a small group of African-American players on the Panthers; it's just another remarkable step in a legitimately interesting career. We decided to rank athlete apologies over time. Caveat: we realize most of these were for serious trangressions and we're not taking that lightly. If nothing else, you can look to this URL as an index of athletes doing the mea culpa tango over time.
|1 (14)||LATRELL SPREWELL (1997)||This was for choking P.J. Carlesimo. The reason this gets No. 1? "With six former teammates behind him and famed attorney Johnnie L. Cochran Jr. at his side…" Anytime Cochran is involved, we're sold.|
|2 (410)||DENNIS RODMAN (1997)||He made negative comments about Mormons during a Jazz/Bulls playoff series. Classic Phil Jackson in defending him: "'To Dennis, a Mormon may be a nickname for people from Utah."|
|3 (21)||JOHN ROCKER (2000)||He wrote a letter to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (got picked up nationally) for his famed "7 Train" comments. One of our friends visited NYC for the first time a few weekends ago, got on a 7 and said the comments out loud before saying, "Man, John Rocker was a loose cannon." By that time, half the train car was glaring at him. Extremely awkward.|
|4 (127)||KOBE BRYANT (2003)||The $4 million ring.|
|5 (899)||MARION JONES (2008)||You can throw this under the bus if you want since it happened on Oprah, but frankly, we think that makes it a little bit better. That's where everyone goes to do their thing.|
|18 (144)||RANDALL SIMON (2003)||Here's what he did ("Sausage-Gate"). Then, he apologized. Ya seriously gotta wonder about this guy, though. Attacking a sausage? Heck, in this 30 Rock, Tina Fey did punch a bear.|
|28 (701)||MICHAEL VICK (2007)||Just for the sheer intensity of what this represented, honestly. The apology itself has been criticized as "hollow."|
|RISING AND FALLING|
|AMERICAN CYCLIST SMOG MASKS (2008) (Remember this?)|
|ROGER CLEMENS (2008) (What was he apologizing for?)|
- Rockies bullpen taking shape
- Yanks still looking at Infante
- Braves seeking Shark?
- Could Choo choose Houston?
- Could Pau Gasol return to Memphis?
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.