The Action Sports Report: Fishy Business
The pros show us their best catches.
Snowboarder Nate Holland shows off a spanking Steelhead he caught in the Trinity River.
[Ed.'s Note: The Action Sports Report is a weekly blog that covers sports from skateboarding to snowboarding to FMX.]
For today's shredder, not all fun happens in the powder or the dirt. Sometimes a simple little stream can be heaven on Earth. Lately, more and more riders are reaching for a rod and reel and heading to where the fish are biting when they've got down time. Yes, fishing has become the de facto off-hours sport of the action sports fraternity. To prove it, we asked a few guys to give us their best fish stories. And we've got the pictures to prove it.
Hometown: Truckee, CA
Sport You Rip: Skiing
Type of Fish: Dorado (Mahi-Mahi)
Fishing Hole: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
The Fight: "We came upon this wooden pallet floating on the surface of the water and a bunch of little fish were loving the shade it provided. I loved it too, especially when I hooked up with this monster. It took me 40 minutes to reel it in. It ran my line out three times and jumped like crazy, but it was tasty.!"
Hometown: Murrells Inlet, S.C.
Sport You Rip: Supercross
Type Of Fish: Yellowfin Tuna
Fishing Hole: 55 miles out in the Atlantic
Stats: 45''; 50 pounds
The Fight: "Most of the time we catch about ten or more dolphin-fish (aka Dorado/Mahi-Mahi) and one or two other types of fish. But we always know when we have a tuna because they take as long to reel in as ten dolphins!"
Hometown: Anchorage, AK
Sport You Rip: Snowmobiling
Type Of Fish: Steelhead trout
Fishing Hole: Anchor River, AK
Stats: 29"; 18lbs
The Fight: "This baby hit like Mike Tyson and then gave 20 minutes of the strongest, most aerobatic fight ever. Pound for pound the strongest fish I have ever caught."
Hometown: Squaw Valley, CA
Sport You Rip: Snowboarding
Type of Fish: Steelhead trout
Fishing Hole: Trinity River, CA
Stats: 22"; 7.5lbs
The Fight: "I had heard Steelhead are one of the best fighting fish out there—they weren't kidding. This fish hit like lightning and then ran my line up and down the river for a good 30 minutes. This trip was one of the best of my life and this was definitely my best catch."
Hometown: Poulsbo, WA
Sport You Rip: Supercross/ Motocross
Type Of Fish: Yellow Eye Rockfish
Fishing Hole: Edna Bay, Alaska
The Fight: "This guy didn't put up much of a fight because they're down really deep so you can just sort of pull them straight up to the top."
Hometown: Clearwater, FL
Sport You Rip: Supercross/ Motocross/ Stock car
Fishing Hole: Cabo San Lucas, Mex
The Fight: The GOAT hasn't had much luck with the old rod and reel as of late but passed on this pic from a recent fishing trip to Cabo San Lucas. As you can see, the only thing Ricky caught was a healthy buzz. At least he's got more wins than anybody on the globe. Cheers, Ricky.
- Shaun White after Winning SuperPipe
- World Cup: How soccer explains the sports world
- Body Shot: Gretchen Bleiler - ESPN The Magazine
- 5 p.m.: Olympics/McShay
- NFL -- Football Outsiders: NFC West offseason questions include Matt Leinart's future, the Rams' draft options and more 49ers road blocks
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.
- VIDEO: Kobe Bryant's two loves
- VIDEO: Superman Dwight -- stylin' and profilin'
- VIDEO: Ricky Rubio, on the verge of superstardom