Clip Reel: Providence Friars Basketball
The coaching history is stellar. The on-court game isn't bad either.
We weren't in his house this morning or anything, but we'd assume it was a joyous time to be Keno Davis.
We play intramural dodgeball on weeknights sometimes (we do it to make friends) and one of our teammates is a Providence alum. Last night, after the game, he does a cursory Blackberry check (side note: too many people who don't need Blackberries actually own them) expecting to be down to Pitt, but lo and behold, the Friars are up 15. "We gotta get to a bar!" he screams. We actually didn't stay at said bar the whole game; he left to watch it at home, but still—incredible. It was the Friars' first victory over a No. 1 since 1976. That seems surprising when you consider their legacy. Let's take a deeper look, eh?
Here's the Wiki for the whole college.
Here now: the basketball team's history.
And here now: the guys who have coached this program.
Here's the official site. Halfway decent archives section on there, too.
Here's a good fan "vid" of PC basketball and PC campus in general.
This is a long clip, but for a good cause: the Friars Forever Fund.
This is the video that plays before PC games, apparently.
The Friars wanted you to celebrate New Year's by watching them dunk. Kinda.
Providence basketball rap including someone called "Jew Boy."
A PC "Black Out."
This is a pretty cool riff of The Dark Knight used to pump up PC fans before the ND game.
We would feel bad about ourselves if we didn't include a God Shammgod clip in here.
Here's clips from the 1973 NCAA Final Four: PC vs. Memphis State.
And here's clips of the famous 1987 team, coached by Pitino and starring Donovan.
- Big East basketball recruiting class grades -- early signing period
- Providence class is official
- Under-the-radar recruiting powers
- Five frosh who'll make immediate impact
- Scout's take: Bentil to Providence
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.