Thanks for the column about Jake and Elway. I met Tommy John when he was with the White Sox in the 70s and I asked for his autograph. He was traveling with his wife and son, introduced us and then asked if I could help with their luggage. I got the light carry-on. He took the heavy stuff. He asked me what Little League team I played for, what number I wore and what position I played. He autographed my book and took another scrap of paper out of his pocket to sign a second one so I, "wouldn't ruin the one in the book when I showed my friends." He shook my hand and when I looked down, there was a $20 bill in my palm. It is nearly 40 years later and I will always remember that day. Years later, when Wade Boggs was scandalized by having an affair with Margo Adams, a talk show host asked a scorned player's wife if there was any major leaguer she believed doesn't cheat, she answered, "Tommy John" and no one else. That's a five-tool role model.
Larry, do you realize if you had taken that $20 and put it in the stock market, today it would be worth nearly $20?
See all of Rick Reilly's The One E-mail That Wasn't Insulting
More random mind dumps from the brain of Rick Reilly. Go fish!
Be sure to check out Rick's Life of Reilly
- Reilly: Norv Turner deserves respect
- Reilly: A poem on the Saints
- Reilly: Ten new questions on Tiger Slam II
- Reilly: The beauty of closed captioning
- Reilly: How Tiger Woods can fix his image
- Reilly: Why I love sports journalism
- Reilly: A Thanksgiving reunion
- Reilly: An entirely green column
- Reilly: The culture of athlete tats
- Reilly: Calling a horse race is no picnic
- Reilly: Matt Barkley not your typical USC frosh
- Reilly: The life of Andre Agassi
- Reilly: You can take my ticket, but you can't take away my tailgate!
- Reilly: Colt McCoy's title quest
- Reilly: I've seen my share of bodies -- players really like to share
- Reilly: A review of Ochocinco's new book
- Reilly: Be like Mike? No thanks
- Reilly: Everyone has a hole-in-one. I want mine!
- Reilly: Only quit your team with good reason
- Reilly: In awe of the Williams sisters
- Reilly: A tale of two Little Leaguers
- Reilly: Camp Sundown shines with the Yankees in the Bronx
- Reilly: Remember us? We're UCLA football.
- Reilly: These champions need a lesson in winning gracefully
- Reilly: Tiger Woods needs to clean up his act
- Reilly: The 10 best sporting events to see live
- Reilly: Lance Armstrong loosens up
- Reilly: My plan for fixing the economy
- Reilly: You just won the U.S. Open, now act like it!
- Reilly: The softball coach with no heart
- Reilly: Alfred G. Rava takes A's to court
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.