Remember the column about the free-ticket "scholarships" the Diamondbacks gave to fans who couldn't afford them? One of them was for a 13-year-old catcher who got bullied by kids for his need of dental work. "Baseball is his outlet," his aunt wrote. "No one can see underneath that catcher's mask."
The boy, who preferred not to be named, and his family got a year's worth of tickets. And I added:
Next question: Anybody know a big-hearted orthodontist?
Well, Dr. Randall Snyder of Litchfield Park, Ariz. wrote and offered to put braces on the kid, no charge. He got them last week and he'll wear them for two years. A representative of the Diamondbacks says he is "so excited." His aunt will be sending us photos. When his teeth are straight, perhaps we'll run one and you'll see a kid who won't always have to play catcher.
Here's to you, Dr. Snyder. Not all the smiles you create take two years.
See all of Rick Reilly's People Much Better Than Me
More random mind dumps from the brain of Rick Reilly. Go fish!
Be sure to check out Rick's Life of Reilly
- Reilly: Norv Turner deserves respect
- Reilly: A poem on the Saints
- Reilly: Ten new questions on Tiger Slam II
- Reilly: The beauty of closed captioning
- Reilly: How Tiger Woods can fix his image
- Reilly: Why I love sports journalism
- Reilly: A Thanksgiving reunion
- Reilly: An entirely green column
- Reilly: The culture of athlete tats
- Reilly: Calling a horse race is no picnic
- Reilly: Matt Barkley not your typical USC frosh
- Reilly: The life of Andre Agassi
- Reilly: You can take my ticket, but you can't take away my tailgate!
- Reilly: Colt McCoy's title quest
- Reilly: I've seen my share of bodies -- players really like to share
- Reilly: A review of Ochocinco's new book
- Reilly: Be like Mike? No thanks
- Reilly: Everyone has a hole-in-one. I want mine!
- Reilly: Only quit your team with good reason
- Reilly: In awe of the Williams sisters
- Reilly: A tale of two Little Leaguers
- Reilly: Camp Sundown shines with the Yankees in the Bronx
- Reilly: Remember us? We're UCLA football.
- Reilly: These champions need a lesson in winning gracefully
- Reilly: Tiger Woods needs to clean up his act
- Reilly: The 10 best sporting events to see live
- Reilly: Lance Armstrong loosens up
- Reilly: My plan for fixing the economy
- Reilly: You just won the U.S. Open, now act like it!
- Reilly: The softball coach with no heart
- Reilly: Alfred G. Rava takes A's to court
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.