If it's true that New York Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter and "Friday Night Lights" actress Minka Kelly are planning a wedding, it marks the end of one of the greatest Valentino runs in sports history.
Not since Joe Namath has one athlete hung so many lip-biting beauties off his arm without ever getting a champagne bottle smashed over his head or a paternity suit hung on his door.
Therefore -- with apologies to Ms. Kelly -- we rank the losers in the epic and historic Get Jeter to the Altar Sweepstakes:
10. Jordana Brewster: Actress from The Fast and the Furious. Also an apt description of their relationship.
9. Joy Enriquez: pop singer and former 7th Heaven guest star. Interestingly, Enriquez was also once a back-up singer for Mariah Carey, who ranks --
8. Ms. Carey, Jeter's first as a pro.
7.Lara Dutta: 2000 Miss Universe and current Bollywood star. A few years back, Jeter let me open an entire locker full of his mail. The most interesting letter was from a different Miss Universe, who included a photo with not a lot of clothing and her cell number. When I told Jeter -- with astonishment -- that he was being pursued with vigor by a Miss Universe, he said, and I quote exactly: "No way, dude. I'm not going down that Miss Universe road again." I just stared, open-mouthed, at him. Has any man ever uttered that sentence before?
6. Gabrielle Union, actress. Turned out not to be true, but we include it here just to run her quote: "I'm linked to a lot of people," Union said at the time. "It'd be great to be dating Derek Jeter. As far as fake relationships go, I'm moving up."
5. Vanessa Minnillo: Former Miss Teen USA and long-time MTV host. Hot enough to melt gold fillings.
4. Adriana Lima: Victoria's Secret Model, Maybelline Girl, Brazilian Supermodel. Hard to imagine Jeter letting this one go, unless it was perhaps for --
3. Vida Guerra: Former Playboy model. Many magazines she appears in must be handled with oven mitts.
Tie, 2 and 1: The Two Jessicas -- Jessica Alba and Jessica Biel. Jeter is the only male to pull off the rare Jessica parlay. For that alone, he goes down in the Sealy Posturepedic Hall of Fame.
Derek Jeter's getting married?
Somewhere, a room service waiter weeps.
See all of Rick Reilly's People Much Better Than Me
More random mind dumps from the brain of Rick Reilly. Go fish!
Be sure to check out Rick's Life of Reilly
- Reilly: Norv Turner deserves respect
- Reilly: A poem on the Saints
- Reilly: Ten new questions on Tiger Slam II
- Reilly: The beauty of closed captioning
- Reilly: How Tiger Woods can fix his image
- Reilly: Why I love sports journalism
- Reilly: A Thanksgiving reunion
- Reilly: An entirely green column
- Reilly: The culture of athlete tats
- Reilly: Calling a horse race is no picnic
- Reilly: Matt Barkley not your typical USC frosh
- Reilly: The life of Andre Agassi
- Reilly: You can take my ticket, but you can't take away my tailgate!
- Reilly: Colt McCoy's title quest
- Reilly: I've seen my share of bodies -- players really like to share
- Reilly: A review of Ochocinco's new book
- Reilly: Be like Mike? No thanks
- Reilly: Everyone has a hole-in-one. I want mine!
- Reilly: Only quit your team with good reason
- Reilly: In awe of the Williams sisters
- Reilly: A tale of two Little Leaguers
- Reilly: Camp Sundown shines with the Yankees in the Bronx
- Reilly: Remember us? We're UCLA football.
- Reilly: These champions need a lesson in winning gracefully
- Reilly: Tiger Woods needs to clean up his act
- Reilly: The 10 best sporting events to see live
- Reilly: Lance Armstrong loosens up
- Reilly: My plan for fixing the economy
- Reilly: You just won the U.S. Open, now act like it!
- Reilly: The softball coach with no heart
- Reilly: Alfred G. Rava takes A's to court
- NCB: Teams, systems and players to watch
- Derrick Rose on what it means to rep Chicago
- The Mag: Fashion Forward
- Harvick embraces role as Earnhardt's heir
- The unlikely backstory of NASCAR's most promising new drivers
- The Mag: How to crash
- The Mag: Athletes' kids finding prep success
- Mag: Inside the NCAA's Eligibility Center
- The Mag: The top 20 recruiters
- The Mag: The stories behind Georgia State football
- The Mag: The journey of Alexi Ogando
- Roenigk: Mark Ingram is tough to bring down
- Mag: Singletary's reshaping of Niners
- Mag: The rise of the Blackhawks
- Olney: October baseball is amazing
- The Mag: Ron Artest on himself
- The Mag: Pros share the best advice they got
- Bergeron: A look at the side careers of eight athletes
- Player X: In praise of quiet, rich owners
- Mag: Packers are best franchise in sports
- Reilly: Rocco didn't beat Tiger, but you'd think he did
- Simmons: It's hard to say goodbye to David Ortiz
- Blowing $66,000 on a College World Series game ... yeah, that qualifies as a meltdown.
- Racing needs to find a way to let drivers attempt to win both Indy and in Charlotte on the same day.
- The Gamer: Mike Swick and Rampage Jackson are avid gamers
- Bill Curry brings Georgia State football to life.