Not a bad few weeks for former Notre Dame basketball star Skylar Diggins. She was selected third overall by the Tulsa Shock at the WNBA draft on April 15; three days later she was getting a makeover on E!; and by the end of last week she had inked a deal to join Jay-Z's budding agency, Roc Nation.
Diggins announced her collaboration with the rapper/entertainment mogul via Twitter (natch), posting to her more than 376K followers: "It's the ROC in here! ShockNation meets RocNation," along with a photo of herself throwing up the Roc diamond. The congratulatory tweets poured in, including a shout out from fellow Roc Nation client Rihanna.
Jay-Z's new sports firm operates in a partnership with Creative Artists Agency, one of the biggest entertainment and sports agencies in the world. CAA negotiates the contracts; Roc Nation handles player-marketing agreements.
As one of the most popular and marketable women in college basketball history, Diggins surely had her pick of representation. I can only imagine what it was like to be wooed by the top companies in the biz, all hoping to capitalize on her combination of hoops skill, beauty and social media savvy.
If I were Diggins, I would have put together quite the list of demands for Jay-Z before signing on the dotted line. In fact, here's what it might look like ...
• Front-row seats and a meet-and-greet at the next Rihanna concert for me and three friends. (Oh and if he and RiRi are back "on," Chris Brown is not allowed near our section or in the green room.)
• A private table at the ready 24/7 at each of the 40/40 Club locations. I, of course, expect to see my jersey prominently displayed at each location as well.
• A Rocawear line of Skylar Diggins headbands.
• A seat next to Leonardo DiCaprio at "The Great Gatsby" premiere and a copy of the soundtrack you produced, signed by all the artists.
• A trip to the White House to hang with your pals Barry and Michelle. Think you can score me a sleepover party in the Lincoln Bedroom too?
• A case of your favorite champagne, Armand de Brignac (aka Ace of Spades), in the locker room of every home game. Gotta have something ready to toast with after a win.
• Season tickets for the Giants and the Yankees so I can support my fellow Roc Nation athletes Victor Cruz and Robinson Cano.
• Use of the jet(s), natch.
• Coldplay under contract to play at my wedding (date, location and husband TBD). You and Chris Martin are still boys, right?
• Rights to the first pictures of your guy Kanye's baby with Kim K. Those things are gonna sell for a mint!
• A quickie divorce for your tour-mate Justin Timberlake and his wife, Jessica Biel, so I can move in on that. Love me some JT.
• You and your lovely wife, Beyonce, will record a new team anthem for the Tulsa Shock. There must be no fewer than five lines about me.
• Straight cash. I dunno, $10 million, $15 million?