UFC considers Jose Aldo-Chad Mendes
UFC president Dana White confirmed Saturday the promotion is considering pairing Aldo with undefeated prospect Chad Mendes at UFC 133 in August, although a deal has not been made official.
Earlier in the week, White had said there was a possibility former lightweight contender Kenny Florian, who also serves as an analyst on ESPN's "MMA Live," would get the next title shot. But Florian has a fight scheduled in June.
Follow us on Twitter
Don't miss a moment of the latest MMA coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »
"Kenny Florian couldn't be ready by then," White said. "Chad Mendes is 10-0. He's undefeated. It makes sense."
It was his first fight since dealing with a compacted spine injury he suffered late last year, which forced him off his originally scheduled UFC debut in January.
Mendes scored a unanimous decision win over Michihiro Omigawa in his first UFC appearance earlier this year at UFC 126 in Las Vegas. A member of the Sacramento-based Team Alpha Male, Mendes posted notable wins over Erik Koch, Cub Swanson and Javier Vazquez while in the WEC.
Brett Okamoto covers mixed martial arts for ESPN.com.
- Miesha Tate retweeted
- Bellator MMA retweeted