Favre deal should boost value of many Jets
I'd make some crack about our long national nightmare being over, but frankly, I'm too exhausted.
The Packers announced that they have traded Brett Favre to the New York Jets. When we finally see that famous bearded smirk beside Eric Mangini at a news conference, it'll all be history. We'll vaguely remember that this surefire Hall of Fame quarterback was supposed to be a Viking, a Bear, a Buc and a Packer in the span of less than a week. Favre fatigue will be no more.
Quarterback rankings (by tier)
Tom Brady is still the cream of the crop at quarterback -- and fantasy land. But Peyton Manning isn't far behind him.
1. Tom Brady, Patriots
2. Peyton Manning, Colts
3. Tony Romo, Cowboys
4. Drew Brees, Saints
5. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
6. Carson Palmer, Bengals
7. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks
8. Derek Anderson, Browns
9. Donovan McNabb, Eagles
10. Jay Cutler, Broncos
11. Brett Favre, Jets
12. Marc Bulger, Rams
13. Matt Schaub, Texans
14. Eli Manning, Giants
15. David Garrard, Jaguars
16. Philip Rivers, Chargers
17. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
18. Jake Delhomme, Panthers
19. Jason Campbell, Redskins
20. Jon Kitna, Lions
21. Kurt Warner, Cardinals
22. Alex Smith, 49ers
23. Jeff Garcia, Buccaneers
24. Vince Young, Titans
25. Matt Leinart, Cardinals
26. JaMarcus Russell, Raiders
27. Trent Edwards, Bills
28. Tarvaris Jackson, Vikings
The Jets are in it to win it this year. They spent huge dollars for Alan Faneca and Calvin Pace, plus added Kris Jenkins, Damien Woody and Tony Richardson. They have what they hope is a franchise left tackle in D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and former first-round picks in center Nick Mangold and corner Darrelle Revis. And now comes the biggest "win now" statement of them all: the gunslinger.
Favre will want to get to camp right away because although he's certainly a savvy guy, he hasn't had to learn a truly new offensive system in, well, nearly two decades. That's not to say Brian Schottenheimer's scheme is some Mike-Martz-like encyclopedia; if anything, it's a relatively conservative setup built around the run with possession passing. But the terminology will be new for Favre, as will the personnel.
Oh, yes, the personnel. Fantasy owners need only look at Greg Jennings and, to a lesser extent, James Jones for evidence that Favre can make stars quickly. Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery aren't household fantasy names, and haven't been every-week contributors with noodle-armed Chad Pennington or erratic Kellen Clemens throwing to them. But each man sees his value rise for '08. Can Coles be the deep threat Favre needs to show off his still-big-enough arm? He definitely has the speed, but will he get the green light? After all, he was a mind-numbing 72nd in the NFL in yards per reception last season. I'll say this, though: The Jets would be first-class dopes if that stat stayed low again in '08. Rookie tight end Dustin Keller also gets a bit of fantasy juice, Donald Lee-style.
The run game already figured to rebound with the team's right guard situation at least temporarily resolved (Brandon Moore) and run-mashing Faneca on board. Thomas Jones scored only one touchdown last year, but I already liked him as a very interesting No. 2 fantasy rusher, and that opinion has only gained steam as of this moment.
|It's not too late! Leagues are forming and drafting until Sep. 20, with scoring retroactive to Week 1.|
Sign Up Today!
Bottom line: Favre will have high (some might say "Favre-ian") upside in New York but also will come with a sizable amount of risk. After all, this team has a defensive-minded head coach and a Schottenheimer running its offense. I doubt they'll be able to grab the Favre reins entirely, but I do believe they'll try to coax their new starter into a tougher, AFC style of offense, one that emphasizes a lack of mistakes. Plus, let's face it: This team went 4-12 last year, has to play New England twice, and also gets San Diego, Cincinnati, Denver, Tennessee and Seattle. There's enough potential for trouble here that I'm not willing to give Favre the kind of fantasy rank he'd have had in Green Bay -- in a familiar system, with familiar personnel. I put him right around No. 11 or 12 among quarterbacks, but with way more upside than anyone near him in the rankings.
Christopher Harris is a fantasy baseball, football and racing analyst for ESPN.com. He is a six-time Fantasy Sports Writers Association award winner across all three of those sports.
You can e-mail him here.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Carpenter: Big men who can produce 3s, steals
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Jan. 26-Feb. 1
- Kaiser: Players to rise with a teammate's trade
- Kaiser: Fantasy impact of Kobe Bryant's injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
BRETT FAVRE SAGA: OVER
After pushing and pushing to keep playing either in Green Bay or elsewhere, Brett Favre's storied career will continue in 2008. The unretired quarterback has been traded by the Packers to the Jets.
NFC North blog | AFC East blog
News• Favre on offseason saga: 'I knew I wanted to play'
• Favre unlikely to play in Jets' preseason finale
• Report: Pack's Favre deal included souvenirs, blog
• On Day 5 with Jets, Favre says arm feels 'fatigued'
• Favre finally arrives in New York, meets mayor
• Rodgers: 'Still following Brett's legacy'
• Jets introduce Favre in Cleveland
• Favre era ends in Green Bay with trade to Jets
• Favre leaves Green Bay, destination unknown
• Favre: 'This probably isn't going to work'
• Favre flying under radar in Green Bay
• Favre: Reinstatement done, Green Bay flight set
• Favre mulling offer; NFL ruling put off again
• Favre actively weighing Packers' offer
• Report: Packers mull dealing Favre in division
• Team president meeting with Favre, agent
• Source: Favre files for reinstatement
• Rodgers takes over as starting QB
• Favre signs reinstatement letter, waits to send
• Favre won't report to Packers camp Sunday
• Sources: Favre, Packers talk trade destinations
• Favre support muted at shareholders meeting
• Report: Favre doesn't have team-issued phone
• Report: NFL security visits Vikings
• Favre questions likely from shareholders
• Packers reportedly weigh trade offers for Favre
• Favre returns to Lambeau Field
• Packers president supports GM, coach
• What they're saying about Favre
• Favre won't apply for reinstatement right away
• Sources: Packers claim Vikings tampered
• Favre may show up at camp
• Favre 'clears it up' in interview with Fox
• Few fans attend Favre rally in Milwaukee
• Pack fans rally, calling for Favre reinstatement
• Pack won't release Favre
• Sources: Favre seeks unconditional release
• Favre itching to return to field
Trade Commentary/Features• Clayton: History doesn't favor Favre, Jets
• Chadiha: Packers will be fine without Favre
• Wojciechowski: Divorce cause? Lack of trust
• Clayton: Deal is a downer for Favre
• Scouts Inc.: Jets now a playoff contender
• Clayton: Questions, answers on Favre trade
• Fantasy spin: Deal boosts value of many Jets
Other Commentary/Features• Clayton: 5 reasons Favre would start for Pack
• Mosley: Favre is QB turned ringmaster
• Wojciechowski: Favre and away the best solution
• Clayton: Favre wins ugly duel
• Clayton: It's a painful divorce
• Chadiha: Rodgers unfazed by Favre circus
• Yasinskas: Favre makes sense for Bucs
• Wojciechowski: Packers can't win this game
• Clayton: It's a delicate situation
• Wright Thompson: Catching Favre's fastballs
• Wojciechowski: What's the answer, Packers?
• Williamson: Where could he end up?
• Seifert: What happens after HOF QBs move on
• Paolantonio: Favre is overhyped
• Kiper: 2005 analysis of prospect Rodgers
• Madden '09 cover boy Favre to stay retired
• Thompson: Brett, we miss you already
• Wojciechowski: Worth the price of admission
• Price of signed Favre items to go up
• Yasinskas: Rodgers ready to take the reins
• FB Outsiders: Measuring Favre's greatness
• Sando: Gunslinger mentality defined Favre
• Yasinskas: Majkowski on Favre's legacy
• Clayton: Questions surrounding Favre
• Clayton: Packers will miss Favre's magic
• Chadiha: Favre will regret decision
• Keating: Favre just getting started
• Hashmarks: Favre fun-loving guy
• Burning Questions: Is Rodgers ready?
• Experts: Is Favre the best, or among them?
• Favre's top 10 moments
• Forde: Favre's flair for dramatic started in college
• Favre's rating in Mel Kiper's '91 draft guide
• Favre's hometown quiet on day of his retirement
• Sadness, shock envelops Green Bay
• Wounded Army officer has last ball thrown
• Around sports: What they're saying
• Fantasy spin: Rodgers not top-20 QB
• Scouts: Rodgers has talent to succeed
• Packers local: Complete hometown coverage
Video• Favre traded to Jets for conditional pick
• Jets GM on trade for Favre, imminent release of Pennington
• Steve Young on Favre's Jets future
• Cris Carter on what trade means to Jets?
• Schlereth: Exciting news for Jets
• Sal Pal on Favre's move to AFC
• Rachel Nichols on Favre's pre-trade mindset
• Favre interview: Part 3 | 2 | 1
SportsNation• How will Jets do with Favre behind center?
• Fans react to Favre's retirement
Photo Galleries• Favre flashback
• Top TD guns
• Top TD targets