Good, Bad and Ugly: Driver trends at Charlotte
Mark Garrow provides driver trends for Sunday's Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
* A driver with an asterisk next to his name needs to qualify for the race based on time.
• He has two starts here, making both races in 2007, with finishes of 31st and 15th, respectively, and has completed 87.8 percent of the total possible laps.
• Biffle has 10 starts here, with three top-10 finishes, a top-5 and an average finish of 21.0.
• The team will use chassis No. 47, the car that finished ninth at Darlington. • Blaney has made 16 starts at the Charlotte. His best finish is sixth, and he has scored three other top-15 finishes.
• In four Sprint Cup Series starts at LMS, Bowyer has a second-place finish to call a career best. Before fall 2007, he finished 19th or worse in three previous attempts at the mile-and-a-half oval. • He has logged a 22.3 starting average and an 18.3 average finish in points-paying competition.
• In 28 starts at LMS, Burton boasts two wins, seven top-5s and 13 top-10s. Both LMS victories came in the Coca-Cola 600. • He is the lone driver who has completed every lap of competition this season. Burton also has completed 78.7 percent of the total laps (2,883 of 3,664) running in the top 15 and leads all drivers with the most runs on the lead lap (3,621 of 3,664).
• In 15 starts here, Busch has two top-5s and has completed 84.5 percent of the total possible laps. • He has finished on the lead lap here only six times.
• Busch has led a total of 59 laps in four career starts in the Coca-Cola 600. • He has eight starts, here with a top-5 and two top-10s.
• This is just Carpentier's second event in race conditions as LMS.
• In 17 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts at Lowe's Motor Speedway, Earnhardt has recorded four top-5s and eight top-10s. He also has one win, though that came in the All-Star race. • He has led 236 laps overall, 175 of which came during the 600 in 2000, when he notched his only pole position at the track. He finished fourth that day.
• In his six starts, Edwards has three top-5s and five top-10s. His best finish at Lowe's is third. • In those six previous starts in Charlotte, Edwards has completed all but one lap of competition.
• Gilliland has an average finish of 31.0 at Charlotte. He has completed 71.1 percent of his potential laps at Charlotte.
• In 30 starts at LMS, he has five wins -- including his first-ever victory in 1994 -- seven poles, 14 top-5s and 16 top-10s. His average finish is 16.8. • Gordon has led 532 laps here and has completed 90.7 percent of the total possible laps.
• Gordon has 15 starts at the 1.5-mile track, with a best finish of 16th. His average finish is 28.3. • Gordon has led one lap here and completed 85.8 percent of possible laps.
• The Coca-Cola 600 will mark Hamlin's sixth Cup start at Lowe's. In two previous 600 starts, Hamlin finished in the top 10 on both occasions and led at least one lap in each race. • Hamlin debuted at Lowe's at the end of the 2005 season, making one of his limited starts that season, recording an eighth-place finish.
• Harvick will pilot Chassis No. 328 this weekend. This is the car Harvick drove to an 11th-place finish at Texas. Additionally, he drove this chassis to a seventh-place finish at Atlanta and an eight-place finish at California. All are intermediate tracks like Charlotte. • He has an average finish of 21.1 here.
• This past weekend, Hornish raced his way into the All-Star race by finishing second in the Sprint Challenge, showing that he can run decently at this track.
• Johnson has made 13 Cup starts at Lowe's Motor Speedway, tallying five wins, eight top-5s and 11 top-10s. • He has completed 96.9 percent of competition laps and has an average finish of 6.8.
• Lowe's Motor Speedway is the only track at which Kahne is a repeat winner. Kahne swept both races in 2006, and six of his seven career victories in NASCAR's premier division have come on intermediate-style tracks. • In eight starts at LMS, Kahne has led 550 laps.
• Kenseth has scored four career victories at Lowe's: one in the All-Star race, two in the Nationwide Series and one in Sprint Cup. • In Cup competition at Lowe's Motor Speedway, Kenseth has one win, five top-5s and seven top-10s. He has an average finish of 15.8.
• Kvapil has an average finish of 22.8 at Charlotte and has completed 1,442 of 1,470 career laps -- 25 leading -- (98.1 percent).
• In 30 starts here, Labonte has 17 top-10s, 12 top-5s, two wins and an average finish of 12.8. • He has led 807 laps here and has completed 91.8 percent of the total possible laps. • Labonte finished the 2007 races here 13th and 12th, respectively.
• Marlin has made 53 starts here. His average finish is 21st. In the 600, Marlin has made 26 starts and has an average finish of 22nd. • Marlin has 13 top-10s, seven top-5s and a win here with 17 DNFs.
• Martin has 17 top-5s and 21 top-10s at Lowe's with four wins. The 21 top-10s are the most of any active driver. • Martin has led 1,168 laps at Lowe's, also the most of any active driver.
• McDowell has one prior 1.5-mile track start; he finished 33rd in Texas.
• In 11 Sprint Cup Series starts at Lowe's Motor Speedway, McMurray has one win, two top-5s and five top-10s. • McMurray has led more laps at Lowe's (139) than at any other track. It ranks as the sixth-best track for McMurray with an average finish of 16.5.
• Mears won the 600 a year ago. It was the first Cup victory for Mears, who led the final six laps of the 600-mile race. His average running position was 8.1, and he spent 99 percent of the laps (396 of the 400) among the top 15. • This will be Mears' 11th start at the "hometown" track for Hendrick Motorsports. Along with last year's victory, he has earned two top-10 finishes at Lowe's.
• Menard finished 16th after making contact with the outside retaining wall on Lap 1 of the 40-lap All-Star race this past weekend. • In two previous Cup races at Charlotte, Menard's best finish is 14th.
• Montoya will be making his third start at Lowe's. In the 2007 600, Montoya posted a 28th-place finish after getting caught up in a wreck on Lap 52. This past fall, the right-front tire blew, ending the team's evening shy of the checkered flag. • His average finishing position at LMS in points races is 32.5.
• Newman has three top-5s and five top-10s at Lowe's in 14 starts. Newman's best finish was a second-place effort.
• Petty has 52 starts here, with 12 top-10s, six top-5s, a win and an average finish of 18.6. • He has led 321 laps here, has completed 94.1 percent of the total possible laps and finished third in this race last year.
• Ragan's best finish at Lowe's is a 37th in the Coca-Cola 600.
• Reutimann made his Cup debut at Charlotte on Oct. 15, 2005. Reutimann finished on the lead lap in the 22nd position. • Sunday's 600 will mark Reutimann's debut run in the Memorial Day classic.
• Riggs has eight starts here, with a career best of 13th and an average finish of 25.1 and three DNFs. • He has led 124 laps here and has completed 84.9 percent of the total possible laps.
• Sadler has led 189 laps while completing 5,940 of 6,887 circuits. He has one top-5 and two top-10s. • Sadler started third in this race last year and finished 36th.
• Sauter has seven starts here, with a career-best finish of 16th and an average finish of 27.7 with two DNFs.
• Schrader is driving a fourth Richard Childress Racing car here this weekend. • In 44 starts here, Schrader has 13 top-10s, six top-5s, a win and an average finish of 21.1.
• Smith is making his first Cup Series start at Lowe's Motor Speedway this weekend.
• Sorenson has completed all laps of competition (800) in his two starts for the 600-mile event at Lowe's Motor Speedway. He has two top-10 finishes in the spring race, including a fourth-place run in May 2007.
• Stewart has 18 starts here with 11 top-10s, six top-5s, a win and an average finish of 12.9. He finished sixth and seventh last year. • He has led 530 laps here and has completed 93.6 percent of possible laps.
• In five starts here, Truex has one top-10 and an average finish of 18.4. He has led four laps here and has completed 93.6 percent of the total possible laps here.
• In eight starts here, Vickers has two top-10s, a top-5 and an average finish of 22.9 with two DNFs. Vickers finished fifth here last year. • He has led 174 laps here and has completed 86.1 percent of the total possible laps.
• Waltrip will start in his 46th Cup race at Lowe's. His best finish is second in 2004. He has compiled four top-5s and 12 top-10s. Waltrip has completed 89.8 percent of the laps, leading a total of 71 in competition.
• Yeley was the runner-up in this race last year. He has four starts here, with that one top-5 and an average finish of 16.0. • Yeley has led one lap here and has completed 94.8 percent of the total possible laps here.
Mark Garrow covers fantasy racing for ESPN.com.
MORE NASCAR HEADLINES
- Gordon passes Kahne for fifth Brickyard win
- Edwards, Roush parting ways after season
- Ty Dillon races to 1st career Nationwide win
- RTA expects to add more NASCAR teams soon