Woods struggles in pursuit of steady Garcia at Carnoustie
CARNOUSTIE, Scotland -- A shank for Sergio Garcia. A duck-hook for Tiger Woods.
Both shots were shocking to see on the opening hole at Carnoustie. The bigger surprise Friday at the British Open was which player recovered -- not the guy with 12 majors, but the one seeking his first.
"It was a solid shank," Garcia said, able to laugh after an even-par 71 put him 6 under for the tournament and gave him a two-shot lead going into the weekend.
BRITISH OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Where: Carnoustie Golf Links, Carnoustie, Scotland
Yardage/Par: 7,421 yards; par 71
2007 champion: Padraig Harrington
British Open leaderboard
• Recap: Harrington wins in playoff
• Wojciechowski: Final-round thrill ride
• Sobel: Harrington completes long journey
• Sirak: Garcia will bear burden of loss
• Harig: Garcia chalks up loss to bad breaks
• Harig: Romero's wild ride
• Harig notebook: No more Carnasty
• Sobel: Round 4 blog
• Round 4 photo gallery
• Round 3 recap: Garcia leads by three
• Harig: Sergio won't have to worry about Tiger
• Sobel: What each contender needs to do
• Wojciechowski: Stricker is America's best hope
• Sobel: Round 3 blog
• Harig: No. 18 is the bitter end
• Harig notebook: Tiger gives himself a "chance"
• Round 3 photo gallery
• Round 2 recap: Garcia up two
• Wojciechowski: Garcia bellies up to the lead
• Harig: Boo gets some cheers
• Sobel: Round 2 blog
• Harig: Woods' run in jeopardy
• Harig notebook: Bye, Phil!
• Sobel: Choi in hunt for first major
• Round 2 photo gallery
• Round 1 recap: Garcia up by two
• Harig: Top players heat up in cold
• Sobel: Sergio continues maturation process
• Wojciechowski: Player's imperfect 10?
• Harig notebook: McIlroy impresses
• Sobel: Round 1 blog
• Harig: Tiger gets a ruling
• Round 1 photo gallery