- Stephen SzurlejThe tough 430-yard first hole is a sign of things to come.
Golf Digest's Best Places to Play rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Need To Know Bethpage State Park (Black)
99 Quaker Meeting House Road
Farmingdale, NY 11735
The Black Course ranks among the top 50 public courses in the U.S and is one of only 16 courses awarded five stars by Golf Digest's Best Places to Play. The A.W. Tillinghast design features deep bunkers, velvety greens and deep rough. Add in the wind that regularly blows and it's one of the best challenges anywhere.
When the 2002 U.S. Open was played at Bethpage, it marked the first time the championship had ever been played on a municipal facility. The course, which received a major facelift for the event, now ranks as one of the best bargains in the country for amateur golfers.
MORE GOLF HEADLINES
- Tiger surges up Doral leaderboard with 66
- Rookie apologizes after Poulter's Twitter rant
- Hadley shoots 67, takes lead in Puerto Rico
- Garcia, again bitten by Blue Monster, takes 9
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM