- The 12th is only a 368-yard par-4, but there's nothing easy about it.
Golf Digest's Best Places to Play rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Need To Know Pinehurst Resort and Country Club (No. 2)
80 Carolina Vista
Pinehurst, NC 28374
Sam Snead once said "You've got to hit every shot on ol' No. 2." Perhaps that's one reason why the No. 2 Course here has been the site of the Men's North and South Amateur since its inception in 1901.
Other events played on No. 2 include the 1936 PGA, the 1951 Ryder Cup Matches, the 1962 U.S. Amateur and the 1994 U.S. Senior Open. But none had as stirring a finish as the 1999 U.S. Open that saw Payne Stewart hole a lengthy putt on the finishing hole to win the title.
Not too bad a resume for a layout that cost just $13,703.09 to build over a 15-year span (1906-21).
MORE GOLF HEADLINES
- Reed, 23, makes history with win at Doral
- Tiger tweaks back, fades with birdie-less 78
- Rookie Hadley closes out Puerto Rico victory
- No. 1 Park edges No. 2 Pettersen in China
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM