- Floyd, Price and Goosen, among others, tamed this course ... can you?
Need To Know Southern Hills Country Club
2636 East 61st Street
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74136
Designed by Perry Maxwell in 1936, Southern Hills has hosted three PGA Championships and seven USGA national championships, including three U.S. Opens. Accuracy off the tee is of paramount importance at Southern Hills. Tommy Bolt obviously had that and more going for him when he won the 1958 U.S. Open. Hubert Green won the 1977 Open here (playing under a death threat in the final round), and Retief Goosen bested Mark Brooks in a playoff to take the national title in 2001.
PGA Championship winners include Dave Stockton (1970), Raymond Floyd (1982) and Nick Price (1994). Floyd set the course record here with a 63 in the first round of the 1982 event and used that as a springboard to win the tournament by three strokes over Lanny Wadkins.
MORE GOLF HEADLINES
- Tiger 2 over through 10 at suspended Doral
- Day withdraws from Cadillac with hurt thumb
- Stuard leads by 1 at windy Puerto Rico Open
- Scott can grab No. 1 ranking with Doral win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM