Wie has issues on 9th hole, makes quintuple-bogey 9
EDINA, Minn. -- Michelle Wie tumbled out of contention at the U.S. Women's Open on Thursday after taking a quintuple-bogey 9 on the ninth hole, making the turn in 42 and falling nine shots behind the early leaders.
Wie, an 18-year-old from Hawaii who had to qualify for the first time since the eighth grade, arrived at Interlachen showing signs that her wrist injuries were healed and her confidence improving.
One hole left her in a state of shock.
She pulled her tee shot into the right rough, then tried to hit a low approach through the trees to an elevated green. The shot came up about 30 yards short, and she bladed her wedge over the green, facing a steep, downhill chip.
She tried a flop shot, but it came up inches short of the fringe. Using a putter for her fifth shot, the ball bounced out quickly, rolled down the ridge and off the green.
Her chip reached the top of the slope, then trickled back to her feet as she turned away before it stopped rolling. Her seventh shot made it up the ridge to 5 feet behind the hole, but she missed the putt.
A year ago, Wie also shot 42 the last nine she played at the Women's Open. Then she withdrew halfway through the second round at Pine Needles last year.
Wie was second at her 36-hole qualifier, and tied for 24th last week on the LPGA Tour.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE GOLF HEADLINES
- Tiger announces hiring of swing consultant
- Stenson wins in Dubai; 2nd to Rory in points
- Whaley becomes first female officer in PGA
- Granada clings to 1-shot lead at LPGA finale
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
63rd U.S. WOMEN'S OPEN
Where: Interlachen CC; Edina, Minn.
Yardage, Par: 6,789 yards, par 73
2008 Champ: Inbee Park
Fourth round• Inbee Park is youngest winner of Women's Open
• Watch: Park makes history | Park highlights
• Watch: Lewis falls short in professional debut
• U.S. Women's Open leaderboard | Photo gallery
• Annika ends with amazing eagle
Third round• Lewis takes Women's U.S. Open lead in pro debut
• Watch: Third-round U.S. Open highlights | Photos
• Watch highlights: Lewis | Creamer | Sorenstam
• Wie misses cut, may need Q-school
• Sirak: Sunday should have American tinge to it
Second round• Park takes lead, Kerr lurks | Watch: Highlights
• Sirak: LPGA torch ready to be passed Sunday?
First round• Hurst, Oh share early U.S. Open lead | Watch
• Sirak: Wie's Open likely ended with a 9 ... Watch
• GolfForWomen.com: Round 1 photo gallery
Preview• ESPN.com/GolfWorld: Experts' Predictions
• Can Ochoa match Annika's 3 Open titles?
• Sirak: Major blues for Americans
• U.S. Women's Open player profiles
• GolfForWomen.com: Lopez reminisces | Picks
USWomensopen.com• Interlachen Country Club course overview
• Official site | Open records | Past champions