Report: Police want Tiger hospital report

Updated: November 30, 2009, 8:35 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

The Florida Highway Patrol is seeking a search warrant for hospital records that would document the treatment Tiger Woods received after an auto accident early Friday morning, TMZ.com has reported, citing unnamed sources.

The Florida state police, according to the Web site's report, want to determine if the injuries Woods sustained resembled those from an auto accident or domestic violence.

Woods, who was scheduled to compete at his Chevron World Challenge that starts Thursday in Thousand Oaks, Calif., will not attend or play because of injuries sustained in the incident, he announced Monday on his Web site.

Headaches and soreness will keep Woods from traveling to attend the tournament, The Golf Channel reported.

"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods said on TigerWoods.com. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."

When contacted Monday by ESPN, Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Kim Miller said the FHP has made no statements to anyone regarding Woods and warrants.

But according to the TMZ.com report, the state police think they can show probable cause of a crime committed during the events that unfolded Friday.

Woods, who had been scheduled to hold a pre-tournament news conference in California on Tuesday, missed the event last year as he recovered from knee surgery.

Woods broke his public silence on the incident Sunday on his Web site and took the blame for an "embarrassing" car crash that gave him cuts, bruises -- and public scrutiny like never before. Also Sunday, an attorney provided troopers Woods' driver's license, registration and insurance as required by law for such accidents.

His statement failed to clear up any questions about the middle-of-the-night accident outside his Isleworth estate in which his wife told police she used a golf club to smash the back windows of the Cadillac SUV to help him out.

"This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me," Woods said on his Web site. "I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again."

The statement was posted around 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, about an hour after Woods' attorney told the Florida Highway Patrol that for the third straight day golf's No. 1 player would be unavailable to talk to troopers.

This time, the meeting was not rescheduled.

Woods said the crash was a private matter, and he intended to keep it that way. His attorney, Mark NeJame, said neither he nor Woods will make comments to anybody -- including the authorities.

"Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible," Woods said. "The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false."

John Daly, speaking from Australia, where he will play in the Australian Open starting Thursday, said he doesn't want to know the reasons behind Woods' crash. He just wants Woods healthy and back on the tour.

"I don't really care what happened between Tiger and ... whatever happened. I'm just glad he's OK," Daly said. "We need him, probably more than anybody on the tour, to keep things going, the way the economy is."

Daly, a dual major winner who has had his share of off-the-course troubles, said Monday he doesn't share the public fascination with the facts behind Woods' accident.

"Tiger's the biggest asset the tour's had in a long, long time," Daly said. "Whatever happened, as long as he's OK that's all that matters. Golf needs him badly ... no doubt."

The 911 caller was interviewed by police Saturday, and investigators might speak with other people who were at the scene as well.

The FHP released the 911 call from an unidentified neighbor on Sunday.

"I have a neighbor, he hit the tree. And we came out here just to see what was going on. I see him and he's laying down," the neighbor told dispatchers without ever identifying the victim as Woods.

Asked if the victim was unconscious, the neighbor replied, "Yes."

Part of the call was inaudible because of a bad connection. At one point, the voice of a woman is heard yelling, "What happened!"

"We're just trying to get the police here right now," the neighbor says to the woman. "We don't know what happened. We're figuring that out right now. I'm on the phone with the police right now."

According to the FHP accident report, Woods had just pulled out of his driveway when he struck a fire hydrant and then a tree. Woods said he had cuts, bruising and "right now I'm a little sore."

The accident came two days after the National Enquirer published a story alleging that Woods had been seeing a New York nightclub hostess, and that they recently were together in Melbourne, where Woods competed in the Australian Masters.

The woman, Rachel Uchitel, denied having an affair with Woods when contacted by The Associated Press.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ALSO SEE