Tiger addresses Haney's resignation
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Tiger Woods thanked Hank Haney on Tuesday for his six years as swing coach. He is not saying, however, who his next coach might be.
Haney said in a statement on his website Monday night that he has resigned. Woods posted a short comment on his website Tuesday that they have agreed Haney will no longer work with him.
Sobel: Bound To Happen
Golfers hire and fire coaches all the time. The unusual part of the Tiger Woods-Hank Haney breakup comes from who pulled the trigger to end their working relationship. Jason Sobel
"Hank Haney and I have agreed that he will no longer be my coach," Woods said in the statement. "Hank is an outstanding teacher and has been a great help to me, but equally importantly he is a friend. That will not change.
"I would like to thank him for all he has done for me the past six years."
Woods missed the cut at Quail Hollow and withdrew in the final round of the Players Championship with a sore neck. It was the first time he played consecutive tournaments without earning official money.
Haney said in his statement that he enjoyed working with Woods but he thinks it's time for him to step aside as his coach. Haney said it was his decision.
"I have informed Tiger Woods this evening that I will no longer be his coach," Haney said in a statement posted on his website. "I would like to thank Tiger for the opportunity that I have had to work with him over the past [six-plus] years.
"Tiger Woods has done the work to achieve a level of greatness that I believe the game of golf has never seen before and I will always appreciate the opportunity that I have had to contribute to his successes."
Haney emphasized that he was not fired and just feels it is time to "move forward in other areas."
"Just so there is no confusion, I would like to make it clear that this is my decision," Haney said in the statement.
There had been speculation at the Players Championship last weekend that Woods was about to end his partnership with Haney, his swing coach since 2004. But Woods said earlier Monday he was working with Haney on his swing.
Haney's resignation is another blow for Woods, who was forced to withdraw during the final round at TPC Sawgrass because of neck spasms. It was his first withdrawal from a tournament since the Nissan Open at Riviera in 2006, and came on the heels of his missed cut at Quail Hollow following the highest 36-hole score of his career.
Woods plans to have an MRI when he returns to Orlando, Fla. He has struggled since tying for fourth at the Masters, his first competition in five months.
He said his schedule is "up in the air" and could be based on what is uncovered in the MRI.
Woods said Monday that his neck started bothering him two weeks before the Masters. He brushed it off as "no big deal" and believed he could play through the pain. That changed on Sunday at the Players Championship, where his creaky neck locked up and prevented him from making his usual forceful turn on the ball on even a routine shot.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.