Seve Ballesteros Foundation supported
VIRGINIA WATER, England -- More than $1 million has been donated to the Seve Ballesteros Foundation following a series of fundraising activities at Wentworth in honor of the late Spanish golfer.
A pro-am last month featuring a field of 24 leading golfers, including Colin Montgomerie and Jose Maria Olazabal, was held at the European Tour's headquarters, while there also was an auction and donations from the public.
The European Tour says the money will go directly to Ballesteros' foundation in partnership with Cancer Research UK.
Ballesteros died on May 7 from brain cancer.
"Seve would have been very proud to see the support that his charity received," nephew Ivan Ballesteros said.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE GOLF HEADLINES
- Bae emerges at Nelson for 1st PGA Tour title
- McDowell thwarts Jaidee in Match Play final
- American Uihlein wins first title in Portugal
- Johnson's late surge good for Mobile Bay title