Bomb threat forces two-hour delay
CLEMMONS, N.C. -- The second round of the RJR Championship was suspended for two hours Saturday after a bomb threat was discovered written on the wall of a portable toilet.
The message was found at 10:24 a.m. in a portable toilet located between the eighth green and ninth tee, in an area accessible only to players, tournament officials and volunteers.
The clubhouse was evacuated and play was suspended while officials from the Forsyth County Sheriff's Department and members of the Special Operations Response Team searched the clubhouse, the surrounding area and golf carts. Bomb-sniffing dogs were also used in the search.
No suspicious packages or bomb residue were found, said Dr. Lew Stringer, director of the Special Operations Response Team.
"You have to take every threat seriously,'' Stringer said. "You don't have but one time to try to do it right.''
The gallery was not informed of the investigation because the threat mentioned only the clubhouse.
Stringer said he believed the threat had been left overnight.
Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Gibbs beats buzzer as Seton Hall stuns Nova
- Redskins sign Hatcher away from Cowboys
- Thunder fire back to rout Lakers in rematch
- Source: Pats talking with banned CB Browner