- Ramona Shelburne, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
"I just don't remember anything that went on,'' Wilson said. "My head was pounding. When I was at the plate I was out of it, I don't remember anybody talking to me. I was out."
Now that he's seen replays -- too many replays, actually -- he has a better idea of how he went from starting his first game in the majors to the emergency room at Chapman University hospital and then to the 15-day disabled list with a concussion and sprained left ankle.
"It was a pretty good collision, huh?" he joked before Sunday's series-finale with the Yankees. "My dad was telling me, 'Can you call ESPN and tell them to stop showing it. I'm getting sick watching it.'"
Some of his teammates have questioned the play and Teixeira's motives for barrelling into him since Wilson was behind the plate and up the first base line, but Wilson said he harbors no ill-will for Teixeira.
"He was playing baseball," Wilson said. "He was playing hard. I know he got hit a few pitches earlier, but he was playing baseball.
"Now I wish he would've [slid], but there's no hard feeling toward Tex. I know the kind of person he is. I know his intent wasn't to hurt me. People can say what they want, if they think it's clean, or they think it's dirty, it's baseball. Next time it comes around I'm not going to back down. I'm not going to shy away from contact just cause this happened. It's part of the game."
It's part of the game, but it is still pretty disappointing for the 27-year-old rookie who was looking at his first extended opportunity to play in the major leagues with Jeff Mathis out six to eight weeks with a fractured right wrist.
"That's the biggest part of it is just the frustration. I finally get a chance to play a little bit, and show to players and my coaches I can play," he said. "So for that to happen, that early in the game, it stinks. There's no way to beat around it. It stinks."
Wilson got one piece of good news Saturday when doctors determined his left ankle was not fractured. He was wearing a protective boot in the clubhouse Sunday, but said it was feeling much better.
Of greater concern is the concussion, his second this year. Wilson suffered a mild concussion in spring training during drills.
"I think that's one of the reasons they put me right on the DL because it was so close together," he said. "I think I only missed like a day, so this one was much worse though.
"I wasn't dizzy and didn't feel nauseated. It was more like a hangover feeling. If you've ever had a hangover you know what it feels like, just pounding on your head. A hangover intensified, obviously."
Wilson said he was due to find out later Sunday how much time he will miss. The Angels have recalled 30-year old rookie Ryan Budde from Triple-A Salt Lake City to replace Wilson on the roster.
For now at least, manager Mike Scioscia said there are no plans to call up prized catching prospect Hank Conger, who is hitting .302 for the Salt Lake Bees this season.
"Hank's made a lot of progress, but you're talking about a guy whose only caught about a 150 games in professional baseball," Scioscia said. "There's a seasoning that goes on.
"Hank's fine-tuning a lot of things on the defensive and offensive ends, but really hasn't played quite enough at a high level to where you would think he'd be ready for the challenge of catching in the major leagues. We'll see how things progress. He made huge strides last year to get to a level this spring that surprised a lot of people."
Ramona Shelburne is a writer and columnist for ESPNLosAngeles.com.
1dInterview by Buster Olney
23hDanny Knobler, Special to ESPN.com