Vicente Padilla hit on forearm, still sore
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Dodgers right-hander Vicente Padilla was hit in the right forearm by a line drive during the second inning of his minor league rehabilitation start Monday at advanced Single-A Inland Empire and was still sore when he arrived at Dodger Stadium on Tuesday. The situation could delay Padilla's return to the Dodgers, which was tentatively scheduled for next Monday night at San Diego, but he probably will be ready to go.
"I think so," Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. "We'll see how this week goes. I asked him how he was doing, and he pointed at his forearm. But he pitched another inning after it happened, and he wanted to go another one after that, but Nick Conte cut it off, which was the right thing to do in that situation."
IT'S L.A., AND IT'S LIVE
For more coverage of the Dodgers and the complete Los Angeles sports scene, visit ESPNLosAngeles.com. »
Conte, the Dodgers' strength and athletic training assistant, accompanied Padilla to San Bernardino for his rehab start against Bakersfield. Padilla wound up pitching three shutout innings, giving up two hits and recording seven groundball outs.
A bigger issue than the physical condition of Padilla's forearm might be the fact he wasn't in the game long enough to throw enough pitches in advance of a presumed major league start his next time out. But with the September roster expansion, the Dodgers probably will have enough arms in their bullpen to overcome if Padilla can't go deep into the game Monday.
Theriot not in lineup
Second baseman Ryan Theriot was out of the starting lineup Tuesday night against the Philadelphia Phillies after suffering a mild injury to his right knee when Phillies right fielder Jayson Werth slid hard into him on an eighth-inning pivot play Monday night.
Stan Conte, the Dodgers' director of medical services, said the injury wasn't serious.
"He was checked out by [team physician] Dr. [Neal] ElAttrache after the game," Conte said. "It doesn't look serious at all. He is sore and stiff from getting hit. We would rather have him lose one day than lose two or three."
Theriot was quick to say after Tuesday's game that Werth's slide, which knocked him completely off his feet, was clean.
"It was just a good, hard slide trying to break up a double play," Theriot said.
Torre remains consistent on future
Reiterating something he had said a few weeks ago, Torre said he won't make a decision on whether he wants to manage the Dodgers in 2011 until the team either clinches a playoff spot or is eliminated from playoff contention. He also said that if he doesn't manage the Dodgers next season, he doesn't think he will manage anywhere else.
"I don't anticipate that, really," Torre said. "The only thing that keeps me from saying I'm pretty certain is that I have no clue what is out there. I don't anticipate it, because the reasons I would give for not doing it here if I don't do it here really wouldn't change, because everybody else plays 162 games, too."
Torre has said he would like to have more time off to spend with his daughter, who is entering her freshman year in high school and is heavily involved in softball. Torre, who turned 70 earlier this summer, is in the final season of a three-year, $13 million contract and was engaged in negotiations on a one-year extension during spring training before abruptly ending those talks and putting his decision on hold.
Roster expansion may wait
Although rosters can be expanded by up to 15 players beginning Wednesday -- teams rarely add that many -- Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said he might hold off for a few days because the team's Triple-A Albuquerque affiliate is in contention for a spot in the Pacific Coast League playoffs. The PCL regular season ends Monday.
More on the Dodgers
For more news, notes and analysis of the Dodgers, check out ESPNLA's Dodgers Report. Blog
The one player certain to be called up, sooner or later, is catcher A.J. Ellis. Other strong candidates are pitchers John Ely and Jon Link, infielder Chin-lung Hu and outfielder Xavier Paul, all of whom logged big league time earlier this year.
The Dodgers have one open spot on their 40-man roster, which might pave the way for first baseman John Lindsey to finally receive his first big league callup. Lindsey, 33, is in his 16th minor league season and has never spent a day in the majors or even on a 40-man roster. He entered Tuesday night's game against Iowa as the PCL's runaway batting leader at .363. He also was tied for the league lead with 39 doubles and had hit 23 homers and driven in 90 runs while posting a .410 on-base percentage.
Tony Jackson covers the Dodgers for ESPNLosAngeles.com.