Dodgers consider roster shakeup
SAN FRANCISCO -- Los Angeles Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti hinted on Tuesday that there likely are to be many changes in the roster over the upcoming winter as he attempts to address whatever problems resulted in the club falling out of contention and probably missing the playoffs for the first time in three years.
Colletti cited the fact the Dodgers replaced only three of their frontline players from last year's team -- starting pitcher Randy Wolf, reliever Guillermo Mota and second baseman Orlando Hudson -- and said he anticipates more widespread adjustments to next year's team.
More From ESPNLosAngeles.com
For more news, notes and analysis of the Dodgers, check out ESPN LA's Dodgers Report. Blog
"I think there are going to be more changes than there were a year ago," Colletti said. "... There are obviously some areas where we need to improve. There have been some cases where we have seen continued advancement. There have been some cases where we have seen a leveling off. And there are other cases where we have seen regression."
Colletti declined to get into specifics about any specific Dodgers players who might have become expendable as a result of their performances this season. He also declined to directly address a question as to whether the Dodgers have underachieved based on their overall talent, which, on paper, was arguably the deepest in the National League West entering the season.
"We play on grass, not on paper," Colletti said. "It is obvious by our record that no matter what people may have thought they knew about this team when the season began, our record indicates otherwise."
The Dodgers entered Tuesday night's game against the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park in fourth place in the N.L. West, two games below .500 and 10 1/2 games behind the division-leading San Diego Padres. They were 22-34 since the All-Star break.
Tony Jackson covers the Dodgers for ESPNLosAngeles.com. Follow him on Twitter.