- Tony Jackson, ESPNLosAngeles.com
- 0 Shares
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Embattled Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt gave his first interview Friday since the start of spring training, choosing the occasion of a charity Cactus League game to benefit the victims of a mass shooting that took place here on Jan. 8. However, McCourt declined to address questions about his ability to hold on to the franchise despite financial concerns stemming from his recent divorce.
Specifically, McCourt was asked why he is so confident he can continue to own the club -- something he was adamant about the last time he spoke with the media during a Dodgers winter caravan stop on Feb. 14 -- when it seems so clear to most outsiders than he lacks the financial resources to keep the team for the long haul.
"I'm not going to get into any details of that type at all because to me, it would be hugely disrespectful ... when we are here today for a very specific reason," McCourt said Friday. "To start talking about my personal issues would be an inappropriate thing to do."
Asked whether he would answer that question at a more appropriate time, McCourt indicated that he would.
McCourt also was asked about his rather conspicuous absence from Camelback Ranch, the Dodgers' spring training complex, where he hasn't appeared since before players were required to report to camp. McCourt said he did visit the complex shortly before the start of camp, when, according to various sources, he had dinner with general manager Ned Colletti and manager Don Mattingly. McCourt cited his busy schedule as the reason he hasn't returned since then, adding that he did plan to go to Camelback Ranch later on Friday.
"I wish I could be there more often," McCourt said. "I have been incredibly busy. I would love to be there."
Tony Jackson covers the Dodgers for ESPNLosAngeles.com. Follow him on Twitter.