Do the USC Trojans have a shot at overturning the second year of their postseason ban? Athletic director Pat Haden reiterated that he isn't "terribly optimistic."
On with 710 ESPN's Mason & Ireland Show to announce the station's broadcast extension with USC football and men's basketball for the next five years, Haden discussed USC's upcoming appeal in front of the NCAA.
USC will sit before an NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee on Jan. 22 in Indianapolis to appeal sanctions issued to the football program in June. Those sanctions include a two-year bowl ban and a loss of 10 scholarships each year for a three-year period.
Haden said he feels USC has a good case but he doesn't expect the Trojans to regain their postseason eligibility for the coming season.
"The reason I'm not terribly optimistic is just statistically, you only win 10 percent of appeals, the burden of proof is high," Haden said. "But we have a good argument and we'll do the best we can. We're well prepared, we're addressing some reasonable people, we believe, and we'll see how it goes after Saturday."
Earlier this month, Haden said USC would not pursue any additional appeals or legal action if the original decision were upheld.
"This is it," Haden said. "There is no appeal after this. This is the final frontier."
ESPNLosAngeles.com's Pedro Moura contributed to this report.