Fat contracts likely will keep key free agents in Bronx
NEW YORK -- Even though the Yankees tried to save money by cutting Joe Torre's salary, the fallout from his decision to turn down the club's contract offer on Thursday could end up costing the club millions to re-sign free agents Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada. Get ready for several weeks of intense leveraging -- and in this case, it's the players, not the club, who hold the advantage.The Yankees are already taking a massive public relations hit; the New York Daily News and New York Post stood side by side with Torre in its front page headline on Friday, telling George Steinbrenner: "Shove It." Given the graceless way Torre was forced out, and the strong anti-ownership climate among the fan base, the Steinbrenner family will have little choice but to overpay to keep Rivera and Posada from bolting, as well.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Baseball Hall cuts election eligibility to 10 years
- Source: Red Sox, Giants agree to Peavy deal
- Price, Rays prevail with rally over Red Sox
- Lester: I'd re-sign with Sox even if traded
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
YANKEES IN TRANSITION
Joe Torre's 12-year tenure with the Yankees came to an end after he turned down a one-year, $5 million offer to return as their manager. Joe Girardi has agreed to a three-year contract to be Torre's successor.
News• Dodgers' Little resigns; no word on Torre
• Yankees hire Girardi to manage | Changes
• Mattingly still wants to manage
• Reports: Torre could head to Dodgers
• Report: Hank Steinbrenner fires back at Torre
• Torre: Pay cut, incentives doomed deal
• Torre turns down offer to return as skipper
• Shock, sadness greet Torre's departure
• Possible Torre successor hired to manage K.C.
Analysis• Kreidler: Torre, A-Rod would sure help L.A.
• Law: Girardi is perfect choice
• Neyer: Girardi was obvious choice • Gammons: Yankees will survive
• Torre, A-Rod could help some team win
• Nelson: Torre changing his stripes
• Klapisch: Will FAs follow Torre out of Bronx?
• Neyer: Torre headed for Cooperstown
• Olney: Torre led pinstripes with class
• Olney: How it ended for Torre
• Olney: Torre survived a dozen seasons
SportsNation• Rank the all-time managers
• What's next for Yankees?
Audio• Jayson Stark on SportsBash:
• Michael Kay Show: Bowa, Gammons, O'Neill
• Jim Leyritz: It's Series or bust
• Dusty Baker: Torre did right thing
• Michael Kay: Yanks' offer was fair