Brett candidly recalls the Pine Tar Game
It might be the most replayed baseball highlight from the last quarter century: George Brett -- eyes bulging, arms flailing -- sprinting out of the visitor's dugout at Yankee Stadium with intent, it seemed, to kill the home plate umpire, Tim McClelland."That," Yankees pitcher Goose Gossage said, "was the maddest human being that I've ever seen in my life."
I played 20 years in the major leagues, I did some good things, and the one at-bat I'm remembered for is an at-bat in July, not an at-bat in October like Reggie Jackson. Only in New York. It would have never been that big a deal if it had happened in Cleveland.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
- Court rules MLB can depose A-Rod's cousin
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Kansas City Royals Mike Moustakas #8 Royal T-Shirt