A welcome sight: Silva, Morneau back with Twins
• 10:15: Veteran lefty Kirk Rueter has looked like he doesn't have enough stuff to win a Wiffleball tournament lately. He and the Giants open a three-game series against the Brewers, with Victor Santos throwing for Milwaukee.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly from Thursday
The Good: John Smoltz doesn't have a win yet, but if you've seen his stuff, you know he's going to be just fine. He was electric on Thursday, before the Braves' ninth-inning comeback to beat Washington.
The Bad: Kansas City seemed to make about 50,000 mistakes in losing to the Minnesota Twins on Thursday. And the Royals aren't good enough to play like that.
The Ugly: The Cubs already had a hole in their bullpen and in their outfield. Now they're playing Neifi Perez at shortstop for the foreseeable future. The Cardinals are looking better and better.
Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. His book, "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty," is being released in paperback May 1 and can be ordered through HarperCollins.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm