- Buster Olney, Senior Writer, ESPN The Magazine
- 0 Shares
• 1:05 p.m. ET: The Pitching Matchup of the Day, on a full slate of good pitching, will be in Atlanta, where Tim Hudson squares off against the Marlins' A.J. Burnett. So far, Burnett has allowed only 11 walks in 37 innings, with 35 strikeouts.
• 6:10 p.m. ET: Brandon Webb tries to win the final game of the series against the San Francisco Giants, facing Brett Tomko. The Most Likely Guy to Hit a Homer will be Luis Gonzalez of the Diamondbacks, who has a couple of homers in 24 career at-bats against Tomko.
• 7:15 p.m. ET: The Reverse Lock of the Day will be in Tampa Bay. The Yankees are not playing well, and they'll be without Randy Johnson, who misses this start with a groin pull; rookie Sean Henn takes his place, throwing against Hideo Nomo. The logic points to a Yankees loss, so they'll probably win.
• 10:10 p.m. ET: Livan Hernandez is good for about 130 pitches, a hit and a couple of nice plays every time he pitches. The Nationals' right-hander tries to beat the Dodgers in L.A., facing Odalis Perez.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly from Tuesday
Trailing 4-2 entering the bottom of the seventh inning, the White Sox rallied for one run in the seventh and two more in the eighth to defeat the Royals, 5-4. Interestingly enough, the White Sox have held a lead at some point in 26 consecutive games thus far, a major league record.
The Cubs lost their third straight game, 4-1 to the Brewers, and were feeble in doing so as the last 10 batters they sent to the plate were all retired.
Tom Glavine and Kevin Brown were both horrendous in their outings. Glavine allowed eight runs -- seven earned -- in 3 2/3 innings in the Mets' 10-3 loss to the Phillies. The lefty is 1-4 with a 7.04 ERA. Brown, meanwhile, gave up six runs in the first inning and eight runs -- all earned -- overall in five innings as the Yankees were bombed 11-4 by the Devil Rays. He's an abysmal 0-4 with an 8.25 ERA.
Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. His book, "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty," is available in paperback and can be ordered through HarperCollins.com.
A look at Wednesday's top matchups and the good, the bad and the ugly from Tuesday.