Garland tries to deep-six Jays
• 2:15: The Pitching Matchup of the Day pits the Padres' Adam Eaton, who will be trying to keep the San Diego streak going, against the Cardinals' Chris Carpenter. Larry Walker has pounded Eaton for four homers and 10 hits in 29 career at-bats against him.
• 6:05: The Reverse Lock of the Day will be in Florida. The Rockies haven't won a road game since -- well, maybe it was the Eisenhower administration -- and the Marlins are starting Josh Beckett. All logic points to a Marlins victory, so look for a Colorado success.
• 7:05: The Hitter Most Likely to Go Deep will be Bret Boone of the Mariners, facing Boston's Jeremi Gonzalez. Boone already has a homer in his career against Gonzalez, along with another hit and four walks in 12 plate appearances.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly from Friday
Jeff Kent of the Dodgers drove in five runs as L.A. pummeled Cincinnati for 10 runs in the first inning. Kent now has 26 RBI in 28 games.
The Yankees made three errors in the 10th inning against Oakland and lost their fourth straight game, their 11th home loss of the season. They didn't experience their 11th home loss last year until sometime in July.
The Rockies are now 1-14 on the road, after getting shut out by the Marlins' Dontrelle Willis Friday night. Joe Kennedy was hurt by a line drive through the middle. Todd Helton struck out three times against Willis and flipped his glove at an errant throw. It just gets worse and worse.
Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. His book, "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty," is available in paperback and can be ordered through HarperCollins.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Twins extend pitcher Hughes through 2019
- IRS to auction Mets deal owed to Strawberry
- Sources: Padres keep dealing, get J. Upton
- Yankees trade Prado to Miami, get P Eovaldi