Myers aims to keep Phils fightin' back in East
2005 SEASON STATISTICS GM W L Sv K ERA 10 4 2 0 74 1.69
• 1:07: Minnesota may eventually make the playoffs because of its consistency. The Twins go for the sweep in Toronto, with Joe Mays on the mound against Roy Halladay, who has had some recent arm concerns.
• 4:05: The Pitching Matchup of the Day will be in San Francisco, where Adam Eaton of the Padres will try to complete a sweep of the Giants, throwing against ace Jason Schmidt. We presume LaTroy Hawkins will be in the house.
• 8:05: Yankees and Red Sox, Part 25,361. Mike Mussina, who has gained velocity on his fastball and has been much more effective lately, works against old buddy David Wells, who hasn't had as much velocity since coming off the disabled list. The Guy Most Likely To Go Deep is Alex Rodriguez, who already has seven career homers against Wells, in 59 at-bats. Incredibly, Gary Sheffield is homerless against Wells in his career, in 14 at-bats.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly from Saturday
One of the Red Sox players said before Saturday's game that the team just needed a breakout offensive performance to snap out of their slump, and they got it -- 27 hits, 17 runs, with many players getting necessary jolts. Manny Ramirez went 4-for-4, Edgar Renteria went 3-for-3, John Olerud 3-for-6 in his first game with the Red Sox. A springboard? We'll see.
Paul Quantrill's forte is keeping the ball down and getting some groundballs, but in Saturday's game, the Red Sox teed off on the veteran reliever. The first batter he faced, Edgar Renteria, hammered a grand slam, and Trot Nixon and Jay Payton would also hit homers off Quantrill, who was charged with six runs in 2 2/3 innings.
LaTroy Hawkins had to get out of Chicago; the boos started every time he fell behind in the count, and fans had started to anticipate failure -- expect it, even. Hawkins should do better in San Francisco.
Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. His book, "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty," is available in paperback and can be ordered through HarperCollins.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yanks' Tanaka makes start, gives up homer
- Jobe, pioneer of Tommy John surgery, dies
- Padres' Maybin to avoid surgery on biceps
- Phillies' Hamels to rest arm another week
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog