A's put Kennedy in Harden's spot
• 1:10 p.m. ET: The Phillies and Mets will play the final game of what has been a terrific series. Ramon Castro hit a home run to win the first game, and Chase Utley beat Pedro Martinez with bombs in Wednesday's second game. There is little margin for error in the NL wild-card race, and because of this, this is Must-Watch Game of the Day.
• 8:05: The Padres hold a 5½ game lead over the Dodgers in the NL West, and they could just about wrap up the division if they can play well over their next 13 games -- 10 of which are on the road. San Diego begins a four-game series in Milwaukee tonight, with Adam Eaton working against the Brewers' Rick Helling.
• 8:05: Roy Oswalt struggled in August, going 2-3 with a 5.81 ERA, with opponents batting .320. But he still has a shot at 20 victories, because he's 15-11, with a 2.94.
• 10:05: With Rich Harden down and out with a lat strain, Joe Kennedy has stepped into his spot in the rotation, amid some serious pressure; with a win tonight, the Angels could move back into a first-place tie with Oakland. Ervin Santana pitches for Los Angeles.
Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. His book, "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty," is available in paperback and can be ordered through HarperCollins.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Padres keep dealing, get J. Upton
- Yankees trade Prado to Miami, get P Eovaldi
- Giants fill Sandoval hole, trade for McGehee
- Report: Dodgers pass Yanks in owing most tax