Don't underestimate Torre's impact on Yankees
Joe Torre never spent hours poring over statistics or videotape like a lot of young managers do these days. He wasn't a workaholic type who obsessed about getting to work earlier than his peers. He would have a nice lunch, and then he would shave cleanly after games -- wins or losses -- as he prepared for a late dinner at a restaurant.It has never been his style to simmer in the aftermath of success or failure, after all. In an era when managers seem to put in more hours than first-year lawyers or hospital residents, Torre might've put in the fewest office hours of any manager in the game.
Torre CoverageESPN will have live coverage Friday of Joe Torre's 2 p.m. press conference from Rye, N.Y., plus the latest news on the Yankees' manager search:
• SportsCenter Special (ESPN, 1-3 p.m. ET)
While many managers can crunch numbers and know the game, it remains to be seen whether anyone can usher the Yankees through the gantlet of crises the way that Torre has.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Police question Cubs' Castro about shooting
- Source: Kuroda leaving MLB, returning to Japan
- Uggla, Bell agree to deals with Nationals
- Caffeine free: Nats P tweets out comped java
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
YANKEES IN TRANSITION
Joe Torre's 12-year tenure with the Yankees came to an end after he turned down a one-year, $5 million offer to return as their manager. Joe Girardi has agreed to a three-year contract to be Torre's successor.
News• Dodgers' Little resigns; no word on Torre
• Yankees hire Girardi to manage | Changes
• Mattingly still wants to manage
• Reports: Torre could head to Dodgers
• Report: Hank Steinbrenner fires back at Torre
• Torre: Pay cut, incentives doomed deal
• Torre turns down offer to return as skipper
• Shock, sadness greet Torre's departure
• Possible Torre successor hired to manage K.C.
Analysis• Kreidler: Torre, A-Rod would sure help L.A.
• Law: Girardi is perfect choice
• Neyer: Girardi was obvious choice • Gammons: Yankees will survive
• Torre, A-Rod could help some team win
• Nelson: Torre changing his stripes
• Klapisch: Will FAs follow Torre out of Bronx?
• Neyer: Torre headed for Cooperstown
• Olney: Torre led pinstripes with class
• Olney: How it ended for Torre
• Olney: Torre survived a dozen seasons
SportsNation• Rank the all-time managers
• What's next for Yankees?
Audio• Jayson Stark on SportsBash:
• Michael Kay Show: Bowa, Gammons, O'Neill
• Jim Leyritz: It's Series or bust
• Dusty Baker: Torre did right thing
• Michael Kay: Yanks' offer was fair