Giants hope Bonds' record 'script' plays out at home
MILWAUKEE -- He spent his weekend in Milwaukee, oh-fer-ing away a tremendous Home Run History script. But for America's most-watched history chaser, the world continues to spin. The schedule roars ever onward. And the Traveling Home Run History Show must go on.So now it's time for Barry Bonds to head home and get to work on a new script, a script he has written a thousand times: Yep, it's the old "Barry Hits the Big One at Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T Park" script. He had his chance to hit No. 755 in Hank Aaron's city this weekend, on the 31st anniversary of Aaron's last homer, with the commissioner of baseball in less-than-enthusiastic attendance. "And if you wrote that script," Bud Selig said this weekend, "no one would believe it."
Sure, we want [the home run record] to happen in our home park. But that part can't be scripted or gerrymandered by anybody. If it happens elsewhere, that's the game of baseball.
Giants president Larry Baer
|• Aside from his 3-for-3, 2-homer, 6-RBI game in Chicago on July 19, here's how Barry Bonds has done in the other 10 games he's played since July 5.|
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers' Fielder focused on healing, not playing
- Source: Yankees trade for A's lefty Francis
- White Sox sign No. 3 pick Rodon for $6.582M
- Tanaka has partially torn UCL, will try rehab
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
BARRY BONDS: THE NEXT HOME RUN KING
ESPN.com's complete coverage of Barry Bonds' pursuit of Hank Aaron's all-time home run record. For more, go to our Chasing Aaron page
• Eric Neel: Fred Lewis -- Giant killjoy
• Eric Neel: Nomar steals Bonds' spotlight
• Gene Wojciechowski: Bonds beat moves to LA
• Gene Wojciechowski: Bonds can't hide
• Jerry Crasnick: Ready to make the call
• Jayson Stark: Kuiper's the anti-Bonds
• Jim Caple: Bonds feeling no pressure
• Tim Kurkjian: Victims of landmark home runs
• Jayson Stark: Selig doing the right thing
• Jayson Stark: The "Bonds Tour" comes home
• Jayson Stark: Selig's non-statement about Bonds
• Milestone Meter: From 756 to 300 to 3,000
• ESPN.com: The Best On Bonds
• Slideshow: Reliving Hank Aaron's No. 715
• Bonds' Town Hall: Did Bonds use steroids?
• Bonds' Town Hall: Did anyone know?
• Bonds' Town Hall: Media witch hunt
• Brokaw: The Long Winter of Henry Aaron
• Beyond 756: Chat with Amy Nelson