Matsuzaka, Red Sox reach agreement on six-year deal
BOSTON -- The $51.11 million the Red Sox offered to pay for the rights to Daisuke Matsuzaka was enough to get the Japanese ace across the Pacific Ocean.
It took that much again, and a little more, to fly him the rest of the way to Boston.
Bridging the economic gap in the most expensive cultural
exchange in baseball history, the Red Sox reached a preliminary
agreement Wednesday with Matsuzaka on a $52 million, six-year
contract. With $103.11 million on the table, the ...
Read full story
The Matsuzaka File
26 (Sept. 13, 1980)
No. 1 pick by Seibu Lions ('98)
1999 Pacific League Rookie of the Year
2001 Sawamura Award (top pitcher in Japan)
2006 World Baseball Classic MVP
All with Seibu Lions
• Kurkjian: Posting process needs to be fixed
• Allen: D-Mat signing double-edged sword for Japan
• Neyer: Japanese players ... go west
• Law: Matsuzaka strengthens Sox rotation
• Olney: Boston brilliant with D-Mat deal
• Gammons: Red Sox get D-Mat their way
• Poll: Is he worth the hype?
• Karabell: Matsuzaka's fantasy value
• Gammons: Show Matsuzaka the money
• Allen: Matsuzaka keeps Japan waiting
• Neyer: Red Sox's new math doesn't add up
• Crasnick: Sign Matsuzaka or Zito?
• McAdam: Red Sox can't cry anymore
• Allen: A stunner in Japan
• Red Sox bid $51.1 million
• Crasnick: Respecting "Mr. Matsuzaka"
• Gammons: Boston's investment plan
• Vote: Is Matsuzaka worth it?
• Law: Top 40 free agents
• Kurkjian: How much pressure he'll face
• Bobby Valentine's Matsuzaka experience
• Daisuke strikes a deal
• Breaking down Matsuzaka deal
• Is Daisuke finally the one?
• Matsuzaka headed for Boston
• Interview with Scott Boras
• Is Matsuzaka worth $51.1M?
• Peter Gammons: Red Sox got a bargain
• Terry Francona: No language issues
• Buster Olney: Boston's great offseason
• Tim Kurkjian: Yanks still own AL East
• Keith Law: A big-game pitcher
• SI.com's Jon Heyman
• Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann