Mets still have dollars to spend to improve their rotation
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- The New York Mets missed out on signing a big-name pitcher this winter, which means general manager Omar Minaya has money left to spend if he can find one in a trade.
"He has room," owner Fred Wilpon said Saturday.
Wilpon visited Tradition Field as his team held its first workout for pitchers and catchers. The initial full-squad practice is scheduled for Wednesday.
Looking for help at the top of a suspect rotation, New York
pursued Barry ...
Read full story
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL