Young agrees to five-year extension with Texas
SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Michael Young signed an $80 million, five-year contract extension Friday to remain with the Texas Rangers through 2013, a move that solidifies the three-time All-Star shortstop as the face of the franchise.
The extension is for 2009-13 and includes no-trade provisions. Young is scheduled to make $3.5 million this season and a $5 million club option in 2008, after which he would have been able to become a free agent without a new deal.
Young's new contract ...
Read full story
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL