Yankees allowed Pavano to attend to girlfriend
TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees pitcher Carl Pavano says he missed his scheduled spring training start last Friday because of a medical situation involving his girlfriend.
Pavano, who discussed the matter for the first time Sunday, left Legends Field about 45 minutes before Friday's game after receiving permission from the team. The right-hander returned Saturday and threw a 45-pitch bullpen session in preparation for a start Monday night against Boston.
"The reason I left, ...
Read full story
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL