On a minor note: Yankees send Gonzalez to Nationals for Nunez
WASHINGTON -- In a swap of minor leaguers, the New York Yankees traded shortstop Alberto Gonzalez to the Washington Nationals for pitcher Jhonny Nunez on Thursday.
The deal quickly became part of Washington's plan to audition young players. The Nationals, with the worst record in baseball, released infielder Felipe Lopez along with catchers Paul Lo Duca and Johnny Estrada following Thursday night's 8-4 loss to Philadelphia, their ninth straight defeat.
The moves were announced about ...
Read full story
TRADE DEADLINE: JULY 31, 2008
Baseball's July 31 trade deadline passed with a blockbuster: Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox to the Dodgers and Jason Bay from the Pirates to the Red Sox in a three-team deal.
• Updated trade deadline blog | Fantasy spins blog
• Rumor Central
• 2008 Trade Scorecard
• Manny traded to LA; Bay to Red Sox
• Law: Griffey helps White Sox's offense
• Griffey OKs deal from Reds to White Sox
• Law: M's get good deal for Rhodes
• Marlins acquire M's lefty Rhodes
• Ramirez reportedly on block
• Yankees acquire Pudge from Tigers
• Stark Market: Five who could be dealt
• Starting 9: Deals perceived differently now
• Baseball Today: Buster Olney on Teixeira, Bay
• Keith Law: Teixeira perfect for Angels
• Buster Olney on Teixeira trade
• Fantasy: Trade spin on Teixeira deal
• Vote: A good trade for Angels?
• Angels acquire Teixeira from Braves
• Stark Market: Rockies in flux over Fuentes
• Baseball Today: Steve Phillips on trade talk
• Stark Market: Braves looking to deal Teixeira
• Steve Phillips: MLB Trade Rumors
• Peter Gammons: Ramirez trade unlikely
• Indians trade Blake to Dodgers
• Yanks get Nady, Marte from Pirates
• Brewers get Durham from Giants
• Phillies get Blanton from A's
• Stark: Harden a risk, potential reward
• Cubs deal for Harden from A's
• Indians trade Sabathia to Brewers