Q&A about maple bats
In search of more information about maple bats, we spoke to players and two experts in the industry -- Chuck Schapp of Louisville Slugger and Sam Holman, owner of The Original Maple Bat Corporation -- for their opinions on the ash vs. maple debate.1. When were maple bats introduced to Major League Baseball?It's tough to know the exact date, but Holman says Joe Carter first used a maple bat in a major league game in 1997. Holman, a carpenter from Ottawa, Canada, first met Blue Jays scout ...
Read full story
MUCH ADO ABOUT MAPLE BATS
Major League Baseball is investigating the continued use of maple bats due to the dangerous manner in which they break.
• Amy K. Nelson: Q&A about maple bats
• ZOOM Gallery: Evolution of the bat
• Outside the Lines: Maple bats
• Buster Olney: MLB must act ASAP
• Joe Maddon: Concerned about the danger
• Troy Percival: Ban maple bats
• Manfred: MLB taking comprehensive approach
• Adam Dunn stopped using maple
• David Wright uses maple bats
• Baseball to start testing maple bats
• Ripken, Reynolds say maple's not the problem
• Jeter about shattered bats: "It's dangerous"
• Umpire hit by broken bat, leaves game
• Curtis Granderson: Maple vs. ash
• Buster Olney: Barreling toward tragedy
• Buster Olney: Mixed opinions about maple