Unknown spoilers await unsuspecting contenders
Solid gold players embrace the magnitude of the moment at this time of year. That was certainly the case in Milwaukee on Tuesday night, when Prince Fielder launched a T.J. Beam slider into the seats to push the Brewers past the Pirates 7-5 and send a sellout crowd at Miller Park into towel-waving euphoria.
And it was definitely the case at Shea Stadium, where Jose Reyes snapped a 1-for-16 bases-loaded funk with his 19th triple of the season to help the Mets beat ...
Read full story
PENNANT PULSE 2008
Every day until the end of the regular season, an ESPN.com writer will write about a hot topic related to the pennant races.
• Sept. 28: Rogers: White Sox turn to Buehrle
• Sept. 27: Nelson: Mets on the brink
• Sept. 26: Crasnick: Wet, wild final weekend
• Sept. 25: Neyer: Twins in position in AL Central
• Sept. 24: Crasnick: Spoilers await contenders
• Sept. 23: Keri: Don't count out Diamondbacks
• Sept. 22: Stark: Good (and bad) relief in NL East
• Sept. 21: Shea: Cubs, Rays make it official
• Sept. 20: Nelson: It's Rays' day
• Sept. 19: Crasnick: Phils' time of year
• Sept. 18: Neyer: Three teams, two spots
• Sept. 17: Keri: Twins slipping up at wrong time
• Sept. 16: Klapisch: Mets repeating '07
• Sept. 15: Crasnick: Rays great at home
• Sept. 14: Stone: Watch Angels' bullpen
• Sept. 13: Nelson: Let's play two!
• Sept. 12: Stark: Brewers going flat
• Sept. 11: Klapisch: Astros hand ball to Oswalt
• Sept. 10: Rogers: Not '69 again for Cubs
• Sept. 9: Neyer: No sure thing from NL closers
• Sept. 8: Keri: Red Sox charging to top