Pedroia beats out Morneau to win AL MVP
NEW YORK -- Dustin Pedroia could easily be mistaken for a mechanic, carpenter or plumber, most anything except a major leaguer.
"I'm not the biggest guy in the world. I don't have that many tools," he said. "If you saw me walking down the street, you wouldn't think I'm a baseball player."
Well, not unless he was carrying his AL MVP award.
Pedroia added to his ever-expanding trophy case Tuesday, becoming the first second baseman to earn the honor in nearly a half-century.
Read full story
2008 AWARD WINNERS/SCHEDULE
• Story: Maddux wins for record 18th time
• Neyer: Voters erred on McLouth
|C||Yadier Molina, St. Louis (1st)|
|1B||Adrian Gonzalez, San Diego (1st)|
|2B||Brandon Phillips, Cincinnati (1st)|
|SS||Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia (2nd)|
|3B||David Wright, NY Mets (2nd)|
|OF||Carlos Beltran, NY Mets (3rd)|
|OF||Nate McLouth, Pittsburgh (1st)|
|OF||Shane Victorino, Philadelphia (1st)|
|P||Greg Maddux, SD/LA (18th)|
• Story: Pena among five first-time winners
• Neyer: Young's another bad choice
|C||Joe Mauer, Minnesota (1st)|
|1B||Carlos Pena, Tampa Bay (1st)|
|2B||Dustin Pedroia, Boston (1st)|
|SS||Michael Young, Texas (1st)|
|3B||Adrian Beltre, Seattle (1st)|
|OF||Torii Hunter, LA Angels (8th)|
|OF||Grady Sizemore, Cleveland (2nd)|
|OF||Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle (8th)|
|P||Mike Mussina, NY Yankees (7th)|
• Story: Longoria, Soto win ROY awards
|AL||Evan Longoria, 3B, Tampa Bay|
|NL||Geovany Soto, C, Chicago|
• Story: Lincecum just second Giant to win award
• Neyer: Lincecum's rare Giant feat
|• Story: Maddon, Piniella named managers of year|
|AL||Joe Maddon, Tampa Bay|
|NL||Lou Piniella, Chicago|
• Story: Lee second straight Indian to win
• Neyer: Lee, Halladay were equally good
• Story: Pujols wins second NL MVP award
• Neyer: Voters need to cast wider net
• Stark: Three Strikes (NL MVP edition)
• Gammons: Why few votes for Hanley?
• Fantasy: Pujols No. 1 pick in '09?
• Story: Pedroia wins AL MVP award
• Neyer: Mauer was better choice
• Fantasy: Where does Pedroia go in '09?