Abreu waiting for market to open
Scott Boras isn't the only major league baseball agent with access to a research department and a neighborhood Kinko's.As outfielder Bobby Abreu prepared to hit the open market this offseason, his agent, Peter Greenberg, thought a little promotional effort might be in order. So Greenberg's group assembled a 28-page statistical tribute filled with red and blue bar graphs and comparisons linking Abreu to the game's elite hitters.
- This year Abreu joined Barry Bonds and Rickey Henderson as the only players to amass 200 homers and 300 stolen bases while maintaining a .400 on-base percentage.
- Abreu is one of five players with 100 RBIs and 100 runs scored in each of the past two seasons. The others: Chase Utley, Adrian Gonzalez, David Wright and Alex Rodriguez.
- His run of six straight 100-RBI seasons is third-longest among active players behind Rodriguez and Pujols.
- In 2008, Abreu amassed 35 or more doubles for the 10th straight year, tying the record held by Colorado's Todd Helton. Hall of Famer Tris Speaker is next on the list with nine straight 35-double seasons, and he did his best work during the Woodrow Wilson, Warren Harding and Calvin Coolidge administrations.
- Abreu has the longest-running streak of 20-steal seasons in the game, with 10. Jimmy Rollins, Ichiro Suzuki and Juan Pierre are next in line with eight.
- Abreu is currently working on a streak of 11 straight seasons with 150 or more games played. The only big leaguers with longer streaks are Willie Mays, Billy Williams, Pete Rose and Cal Ripken Jr.
In their first 13 years
Bobby Abreu was the 11th best outfielder in 2008, according to the Player Rater as he produced solid numbers across all the major fantasy hitting categories, although his walk rate has declined in recent seasons. However, he won't be taken that high in drafts next year no matter where he lands, given that he'll be 35 and has a lack of upside. If he lands in a lineup, similar to what he had with the Yankees or Phillies, he could still be a top-75 pick and a top-25 outfielder. If he lands in a lesser lineup, Abreu could struggle to be a top-100 pick.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth New York Yankees Mark Teixeira #25 Navy T-Shirt